New SSD boot drive question

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
rat6fink
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

New SSD boot drive question

Post by rat6fink »

Ok LR'ers, here's the question: I plan on ordering my spanking new SSD for my boot drive this weekend, and I currently have a 500GB Seagate, which has Win7 64-bit and Ubuntu 10.04, as well as most of my programs. Also, I have a 1TB Seagate that I use for media storage only.

When I reinstall Winders on the SSD, will that also evaporate all the progs and files on my current C:/? I know that I will have to rid myself of both OS's on the HDD, so a formatting is probably in order. I just don't know if there is a way to maintain my current ensemble of goodies, or if I will have to re-install everything again.

Any thoughts, insight, and knowledge is appreciated
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

"Yes, very good. I'll take a bloody mary and a steak sandwich, and a steak sandwich"

ASUS M4A785TD-V//AMD Phenom II 1090T BE//Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X//G.Skills Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600//Intel SSD boot//500GB & 1TB Seagate//
Antec DF85//Under Water like a scuba diver //Win 7 64-bit//
FZ1

Re: New SSD boot drive question

Post by FZ1 »

A fresh install will require a fresh install of all apps. You can save the data files for games and such in most cases. Make sure you make a list of the apps you use and any serial #'s etc. You can migrate your current OS with Acronis but make sure the alignment on the drive is good for SSD's first (if you are using XP, odds are that the alignment is not good).
Joe
rat6fink
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: New SSD boot drive question

Post by rat6fink »

Thanks for the reply! I was afraid of the need to reinstall everything, I was just holding out a little bit of hope...Now, where's my pen and paper? This list may take awhile.... ](*,)
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

"Yes, very good. I'll take a bloody mary and a steak sandwich, and a steak sandwich"

ASUS M4A785TD-V//AMD Phenom II 1090T BE//Sapphire HD5770 Vapor-X//G.Skills Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600//Intel SSD boot//500GB & 1TB Seagate//
Antec DF85//Under Water like a scuba diver //Win 7 64-bit//