Is 1st gen Sata compatible with 2nd gen Sata ?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
JSP
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Is 1st gen Sata compatible with 2nd gen Sata ?

Post by JSP »

I am a bit confused into which hard drive i should purchase for my computer system, I have consulted my motherboard manual and it says that it has 2 Sata ports, supporting 1st generation sata data rates of 150MB/s amd is fully compliant with serial ata 1.0 specifications. additionaly can anyone recommend me a hard drive to purchase as my current hard drive makes to much noise and i wish to replace it.
Thanks
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is 1st gen Sata compatible with 2nd gen Sata ?

Post by Apoptosis »

Hum... That is a tricky question... If you have a board using a VIA or SIS chipset then a new SATA II drive is likely going to have issues with a SATA 1 based motherboard. The way around this is to buy a hard drive with a jumper on it that would allow you to switch between the two modes. You must have a rather old system though, so are you sure it's worth sinking more money into it? I'm not sure where you live, but you can buy a whole new desktop PC for under $400 in the US and you might get way better bang for your buck doing that rather than dropping another $50-$70 into a PC that is pushing a decade in age.

Back on topic...

Do you know what hard drive you are going to buy? If you knew what drive you are buying we can contact the company and ask.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
AshLikeSnow
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Is 1st gen Sata compatible with 2nd gen Sata ?

Post by AshLikeSnow »

Apoptosis wrote:I'm not sure where you live, but you can buy a whole new desktop PC for under $400 in the US and you might get way better bang for your buck doing that rather than dropping another $50-$70 into a PC that is pushing a decade in age.
Hes right, I was able to put together a desktop for $560 no income tax, no sales tax, no shipping off of amazon recently and with room to take off $60 on the motherboard which I didn't since it was within the budget. And was able to fit a Geforce 460 in as well.

I love amazon.
I can stack no income 25% with no tax CA 10% and no shipping which is usaully around $30 when u buy from amazon. And receive the parts within 3 days (amazon prime student)