SSD, which one?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

SSD, which one?

Post by vbironchef »

My first build was a intel QX6700 cpu. My old XP pro operating system had a virus that I could not fix. I Installed Windows 7 pro to replace. Will for shits and grins I ran the windows experience and I was very surprised to find out that the cpu still gives a rating of 7.2. The slowest part of my old rig is the hard drive which is a WD 300 10K rpm raptor, which gives me a widows index of 6.8 with nothing loaded on it except the OS. Thinking of getting a SSD for that rig. Should I or not and which one if you think I should. I was thinking of going with intel or corsair. What are your thoughts? The rig only has 4 gb of memory.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SSD, which one?

Post by Apoptosis »

I've run an SSD in my personal system for over 1.5 years with no issues (Intel 160GB G2 SSD) and the LR server has been running Intel SLC SSDs in RAID for nearly two years with no issues. All of my notebooks are on Crucial C300 SSDs and are flawless for over a year as well. I highly advise going to an SSD as you'll be amazed by the performance gains. You'll see a larger difference from moving to an SSD than you would by upgrading your entire platform.

Don't hesitate or second guess yourself and go for it! You certainly won't regret it and with prices as low as they are you don't have to break the bank these days to get a 120-180GB SSD that you can use for the primary drive. I'd go SATA III regardless of motherboard support if you plan on holding onto it for a couple years in case you upgrade motherboards down the road. In terms of brands... Just pick what controller you want and then pick what company you'd like to use in terms of support and warranty.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I already have one ssd. Just check my sig. I do think it is fast. I guess I will put one in without the better half finds out. Really taking a chance there. Women know everything. Or find out real fast. :lol:

Edit: I just read some reviews on NE. One I thought was very good. "I could have bought a I-PAD". My wife loves her I-PAD2. I think I will sit tight till I can replace the cpu and motherboard.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

not following your edit...
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I have a 160 GB hard drive made by Intel. It works great! No question that a SSD hard drive is the way to go. My question is if it is worth the upgrade with a Intel QX6700 CPU. I read reviews on New Egg. for the newer Intel HHD's. Granted that they are larger and faster, but does it really make a difference for over 500.00 dollars? One review I read said I could have bought a I-Pad for the same price. I agree! I-PAD's are cool and like a mini computer. My point is that for a new SSD that has like 250gb hard drive space, you could buy a new I-PAD2. Not to mention that the I-phone 5 is going to come out in July or Aug. I think. She would rather have a I-Phone 5 than a SSD for a old computer. Please see my spec's in my sig.
skier

Post by skier »

I wouldn't get a SSD, my old kingston SSD didnt beat the 5.9 all my other hard drives give me, so i'd be glad you already had 6.8 for a storage score
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

Given you have ICH10 you could go for a RAID0 to achieve similar to 6GB sata. I've got a pair of Vertex2 E 120GB and had run flawless (rampage 2 extreme). Raid 0 means no TRIM.
I say that because maybe its a good money/space/speed combo vs. a single drive. And I don't see the point of a future-proof purchase, SSD will be much cheaper in a couple of years and maybe you'll have them via "super-thunderbolt" or similar high speed technologies better than the nowadays "saturable" Sata-III.