Optical Drive issue

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Optical Drive issue

Post by Tim Burton »

My optical drive is seen by Windows and Windows says there is no problem, but I can't get it to read any disks. I have updated firmware, but still can't get it to read any CD or DVD. Any ideas?

It is a BenQ 1625 DVD-RW

Also, I had an A: drive for installing my RAID drivers, but I took it out. Still WindowsXP says it "sees" it. How do I get it to realize it isn't there anymore?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

what you're referring to with the A: (floppy) situation is that it's seeing the controller, not the actual drive itself (or at least it shouldn't be seeing the actual drive)....the DVD burner doesn't require any drivers does it? some do for some weird reason (I know the older memorex drives did). Otherwise, Windows could be screwy and need a clean install, or at last ditch the drive itself could be FUBAR.....now you're basing the good running status off of Device Manager, right? If not, check it to make sure there's no IRQ conflicts or driver issue. I'm willing to bet there could be an issue with Windows, so check that stuff first if not already and try a clean install.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Yea, there is no conflicts. I just grabbed a drive going into another machine and put it in to test it and that DVD-Burner works fine.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

yeah, you might have to RMA that drive then it sounds like.....it happens, right?
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

before you RMA the drive, make sure there are no bent pins on the drive or the motherboard. I have had that happen and experienced the same issues. It can also happen if one of the pins comes loose and slides in/out of the back of the drive.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Have you simply uninstaling the drive from device manager and rebooted? --> make sure you uninstall ALL virtual drives too (nero image drive, vertual clone drive, alcohol 120% etc.)

I had the same kind of issue, this can also be caused by the ASPI layer (or lack of) in windows.... If you use nero, uninstall that too
After you uninstall and reinstall the drive via device manager, install Adaptecs ASPI drivers for XP.....then reboot....with nero off....then test
If this works, you can then reinstall nero etc.

Make sure you disable your floppy controller in the bios so it's not listed in My Computer anymore......also make sure the DVD drive is listed in the bios, and try put the drive on a dedicated IDE cable (using connector on end of cable) --> also make sure you "master/slave" jumppers are correct
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Thanks for the tips. Some more info:

There are no bent or loose pins.

I removed the drive from Windows and let it find it again. Still no joy.

BIOS does see it.

I lost it before I put in Alcohol 120% or Nero.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Tim Burton »

Also, this isn't the only thing I have had stop working. My network card stopped working too.

Here is the full thing about the issue. I don't want to retype it, but it isn't very long to read:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthr ... post323441
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

man, you might be better off backing up all your data and reinstalling Windows..... might be a chipset driver issue..... very strange.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I haven't even thought about the chipset driver being corrupt....good call, I was about to say the mobo was bad, but forgot the chipset dictates how onboard components and controllers work, man I can't believe I missed that, lol #-o
dpalyu
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by dpalyu »

Sounds to me like a IRQ conflict. This has happened to me. The only solution that worked for me was a MB bios update.