Corsair Accelerator 30GB On The Way

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Corsair Accelerator 30GB On The Way

Post by Major_A »

The problem there is after you install Win 7 Ultimate x64 that consumes roughly 24GB of space. Not much left for other apps. The point of installing the cache drive was to speed up the overall system. Aside from the ungodly boot times I can tell a difference. Not a huge one but it's definitely noticeable.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

does your system take for ever on just the HDD?

The only other idea I can come up with is to put the SSD as a ready boost, and to use it for your temp files and such for windows and your programs. But this may require you to partition that drive into 2 separate ones. This would keep the HDD from getting fragmented so much from the constant temp files being written and erased off of it. Also speed up the system in general because SSD's operate faster. again just an off the wall idea.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
cybergrimes
Legit User
Legit User

Post by cybergrimes »

Based on the fact that you completely re-installed the OS I would believe you no longer have a software problem, how could you? Did you immediately re-install everything that you had running before?

Seeing that you're only a few days out on that recent Windows 7 re-install perhaps you could try more trouble shooting to eliminate the problem-- install Windows 7 directly on the SSD to see if the problem persists. If it does you will know a different piece of hardware is to blame. If it doesn't you can suspect it's the mechanical Samsung drive.

This really shouldn't even be an issue on your fairly modern system running Windows 7. It smells like a hardware problem.

If you can return the SSD I highly recommend the Seagate Momentus XT line of hybrid drives-- currently on sale at Newegg for $69.99 on the 500gb model. You will get amazingly fast Windows boots and pretty quick software start up on your most frequently used applications plus a good amount of storage all in a single drive.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

DragonFury wrote:does your system take for ever on just the HDD?

The only other idea I can come up with is to put the SSD as a ready boost, and to use it for your temp files and such for windows and your programs. But this may require you to partition that drive into 2 separate ones. This would keep the HDD from getting fragmented so much from the constant temp files being written and erased off of it. Also speed up the system in general because SSD's operate faster. again just an off the wall idea.
Yes it does. Actually the time it takes isn't much longer than with the SSD cache drive installed.
cybergrimes wrote:Based on the fact that you completely re-installed the OS I would believe you no longer have a software problem, how could you? Did you immediately re-install everything that you had running before?

Seeing that you're only a few days out on that recent Windows 7 re-install perhaps you could try more trouble shooting to eliminate the problem-- install Windows 7 directly on the SSD to see if the problem persists. If it does you will know a different piece of hardware is to blame. If it doesn't you can suspect it's the mechanical Samsung drive.

This really shouldn't even be an issue on your fairly modern system running Windows 7. It smells like a hardware problem.

If you can return the SSD I highly recommend the Seagate Momentus XT line of hybrid drives-- currently on sale at Newegg for $69.99 on the 500gb model. You will get amazingly fast Windows boots and pretty quick software start up on your most frequently used applications plus a good amount of storage all in a single drive.
Too late to return it. If nothing else I can use the drive in a different computer or hook it up to one of my external enclosures. The point of buying it in the first place was curiousity. I could've spent a few dollars more and bought a real SSD but I wanted to see how well this worked first hand. If I don't know then I can't/won't recommend it to anyone.
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Did you newly update .Net Framework back then? I have this problem on my laptop but after leaving it as it is everything is fine. It was called mscor something something .exe and it had repeating instances, at first hand i ended it as it was chewing up my proc and harddisk on startup then i discovered it's actually precaching the newly updated framework files so i just went for a cup of coffee and came back it was all hunky dory
should note that my laptop is nowhere near decent but the booting speed even after being quite cluttered still doesn't get near 1min. Something on the order of 40secs. Yep. Bootracer
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I finally said to hell with it. I can't tell a difference and the Nvelo software (now Samsung's problem) is buggy as hell. I updated the firmware for the SSD to hope that would help but I saw no benefit. My main rig has a 20GB Intel 311 caching my programs drive and it works extremely well. The problems are I picked up an SSD that's too small to use anywhere else and the Nvelo application is nowhere near as good as Intel's RST application/implementation.
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Certainly.
Anyway. SSDs have limited lifespans even with garbage collection so i wouldn't use them as cache drives in any way. :lol:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Well I finally fixed the issue.

All I had to do was reinstall Windows and...

Install one of these thanks to my benefactor.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

tis what we are here for!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!