Drive Cloning Software (Revisited)

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Drive Cloning Software (Revisited)

Post by Skippman »

Hey gang!

I need some help here. I need to Ghost/Clone a hard drive in my moms PC. It's currently on a 40G IDE drive and I'm going to move it to one of my spare 600GB IDE drives. It's running XP and is about an 8 year old Sony. I don't think I'd find the drivers again if I had to resinstall everything as the original backup partition was deleted some time ago.

That leads me to wanting to clone the drive. I've been looking at things like PING and Clonezilla but they all seem to be geared towards either making images or doing multicast images across a LAN. All I want to do is clone one IDE HD in a machine to another.

Do any of you know of a freeware program to do this as I'd like to stay legal and no longer have access to Ghost or Partition Magic. I've seen a previous thread on this topic but it's a year old and I'm hoping theres some newer information available.

- Skip
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Drive Cloning Software (Revisited)

Post by DragonFury »

acronis is a utility that most use these days
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I use Clonzilla, I have it on an old SD card and boot from that.
I save my images to a NAS on the network.
I don't keep many files on my main laptop, keeping most on the NAS so backups contain just the OS and installed apps.
Once every ~3mths I create a new image. The image size for me is ~6GB as I use compression.

You don't need to use Clonzilla as a server, there's the client version too.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

kenc51 wrote:I use Clonzilla, I have it on an old SD card and boot from that.
I don't keep many files on my main laptop, keeping most on the NAS so backups contain just the OS and installed apps.
Once every ~3mths I create a new image. The image size for me is ~6GB as I use compression.

So CloneZilla can be used to clone drive to drive in the same machine without first writing an image?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Skippman wrote:
kenc51 wrote:I use Clonzilla, I have it on an old SD card and boot from that.
[snip]
So CloneZilla can be used to clone drive to drive in the same machine without first writing an image?
Ahh, I don't think so. I can't remember if it has that option. If I remember, I'll check later for you.
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I have used it very successfully at several customers. I have even managed to image an old NT4 drive and restore the image to a much larger drive on another machine due to the original PC being extremely corroded (yay chemicals!). It can be used to do a disk to disk clone, or to create an image to restore later.

The paid versions also have a ton more features, though for what you are asking this should do exactly what you need very easily.

Oh, and the software is just install and run. I have always pulled the drive and imaged them on a separate machine though so I am not sure how it works cloning the current active drive (that is an advertised feature, I just have never used that personally).
doghucat
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by doghucat »

I use Acronis True Image Western Digital a bunch of times and works great its free.
Sandman/Intel C2D E8400 @3.00GHZ/ P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo / Xigmatik-1283 / 2-HD5670 Video-Crossfire / 4 Gig Kingston Ram / Antec P-180B Case
Notebook HP dv9720US 17" Wide Screen
yurchie
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by yurchie »

Acronis or Macrium would be my suggestions.