wrong power into Exernal HDD

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
BulliT
Legit User
Legit User

wrong power into Exernal HDD

Post by BulliT »

I pluged my laptop power supply into my external HDD by mistake and it killed the HDD, my m8 said it would work as a normal HDD so he took it apart and tried it but said the electronics are dead, any ideas how I can fix it coz I have bout 70gig of music and all my stuff on it and really want it back, thanx
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

It sounds like it's "brown bread" :(

Does it spin upwhen you power on? (you can hear it)....but even if it powers on the electronics could be dead.....

You could try returning it....but I think it's dead.......sorry :(
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

If it's just the electronics that are fried, it might be possible to fix it by buying an identical working version of that HD and swap the little PCB boards.

Cheaper than going to a data recovery place at any rate. :lol:
BulliT
Legit User
Legit User

Post by BulliT »

aha thats what I wanted to hear, my friend said the little board can be replaced i just wanted a 2nd opion, only thing is would it be a really tricky job to do the replaceing hmmm...
thanx very much for your post guyz
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Kerii wrote:If it's just the electronics that are fried, it might be possible to fix it by buying an identical working version of that HD and swap the little PCB boards.

Cheaper than going to a data recovery place at any rate. :lol:
You will need the exact same model HDD....."exact" right dowqn to firmware virsion.....