mSATA or just a SSD

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
KnightRid

mSATA or just a SSD

Post by KnightRid »

Just curious as to everyones experiences. I replace the broken ASRock motherboard i got (bent pins in the CPU slot from factory and I didnt notice till it gave me the dreaded 55 error code. It better not have fried my cpu or I am gonna be pissed - reports all over the internet about bent pins too and ASRock just says "we inspect everything" uh huh - yea, i am pissed) for my new build with a gigabyte board and it has a mSATA slot. I have been reading online that speed/size/cost ratio is in favor of SSD.

Opinions?

I am thinking the full SSD is the way to go....
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: mSATA or just a SSD

Post by Major_A »

Aren't SSDs cheaper? If you do use the mSATA drive then you lose a real SATA port anyway. My vote would be go with a traditional SSD.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Major_A wrote:Aren't SSDs cheaper? If you do use the mSATA drive then you lose a real SATA port anyway. My vote would be go with a traditional SSD.
Yes, that is true - it takes away a SATA port. Kinda stupid if you ask me!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

I also agree, stick with the standard ssd. mSATA has its place, desktop pc's isn't one of them.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Just an update - Newegg is returning the broken MB to me saying it had bent cpu pins (REALLY? WOW..sarcasm) and could have been done from installation error.

Now I get to deal with ASRock to see if they will replace this board. Seriously, look up the ASRock Z77 Error code 55 and see how many people had this same problem, yet ASRock still tries to say every one of those people did it themselves..?? really??

Well, I will either have a broken board that I paid for or else a spare board, that I paid for, since I already bought another MB from Newegg. If they wont replace it I may make a video showing the awful quality control and then beating the hell out of it with a hammer :finga:

Doubt I will ever buy another ASRock product and I know for a fact that Newegg has lost some of my business as I have already just had someone buy all their parts from Amazon for a build they want me to do for the new year.