Upgrade with USB 3.0 card

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Elyone
Legit User
Legit User

Upgrade with USB 3.0 card

Post by Elyone »

We have a computer that runs a $150k microscope. As we always have a data storage issue, I want to upgrade the computer with a USB 3.0 card and store data on external disks. Other than making sure I have a spare PCI slot (or PCIe?)(not trivial as their are a lot of cards in there - I cannot check it right now it's in use), what do I need to look for in terms of minimum requirements?

How much power will it draw? I only need a simple card - even a single port, but I cannot tax the power supply. I cannot upgrade anything else in there. It runs Win XP professional.

Thanks,
el
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade with USB 3.0 card

Post by Apoptosis »

Most of the USB 3.0 cards are PCIe x 1 and they use around 15 Watts of power.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

Careful adding cards that control any type of specialized equipment like this.

One of my customers makes PCB's and has a ton of specialized equipment that is computer controlled for this purpose. Some of the software that controls some of the machines is extremely picky about the strangest things and will stop working entirely. The AOI machines they use though tend not to be too picky but it is something to be aware of before spending too much $. Have a plan in place to fully test the machine after installing the card just in case (unless you have added cards in the past and know for sure that it is not an issue in that specific application).
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Apoptosis wrote:Most of the USB 3.0 cards are PCIe x 1 and they use around 15 Watts of power.
Probably much less, in the order of a few watts as they commonly have no heatsinks and i guarantee you the only sucker is the main ASIC and without heatsinks more than a few watts and they are seriously dying on startup