SSD And a Caviar Drive

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

SSD And a Caviar Drive

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

So i've seen the Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD and i think i want them as my boot drive as such but then i ran into another problem while deciding what i want for this year's build
- Caviar Blue OR Black? I'm going for the 1TB ones as i already have a storage server in the hall
I know caviar black will definitely boost loading speeds dramatically compared to the Green or probably blue but they cost extra of course, is it worth it?
I am thinking a caviar blue will save me 23 bucks but as i'm throwing all my games into it (Can't afford to squeeze them into the SSD as well having to *ahem* "makes changes to" some stuff frequently inside so reliability is at question with such duty)
Maybe pairing up the fastest 7.2krpm harddisk with a decently low-price fast (well, it's pretty fast) SSD might make me happier?
I don't know, maybe someone who has decided on such a build would advise me (And yeah, all of the mobo's SATA is 6GBPS so you probably can tell what platform i am planning and it isn't anything high-end absolutely)
To me 28$ is pretty tempting ... especially if i'm such a big KHX fan, i have always used them in the past ... but my RAM can't be KHX for a couple of reasons, the voltage on the KHX is tested at 1333MHz and the 1866MHz spec is not tested so i'll have to go with G.Skill for RAM
KnightRid

Re: SSD And a Caviar Drive

Post by KnightRid »

In my personal experience I have not noticed any difference in loading times between black, green, blue, red etc unless you time it with a program or it is something REAL huge.

I would save the money and go with a cooler running green or blue drive and be done with it. Heck I have a green 1tb drive as my boot drive and all of my programs load just fine. I even edit HD video on it and I notice no difference between it and the black drives I have (or any other 7200rpm drive).
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

not sure i'd go green, but black or blue should do the job for you. Also keep in mind the warranty differences and the lower prices partly because the reduced warranties.

WD 1TB Black has a 5 year warranty for $104.99
WD 1TB Blue has a 2 year warranty and lower performance for $84.99
WD 1TB Green has a 2 year warranty and even lower performance for $79.99
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

Certainly not going to go green because it costs the same for me as a blue drive and runs at "5400RPM" but i guess longer warranty justifies paying extra
skier

Post by skier »

the main reason for green drives is in lower-power solutions, like a backup drive or file server where you need the space but read/write is not a concern yet you want to keep power usage down (since a file server would be on 24/7)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups