Synology 1512+ or DS413J?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
KnightRid

Synology 1512+ or DS413J?

Post by KnightRid »

Well I am still trying to snag one of these NAS devices (even though they are stupidly overpriced IMO) and today looks like the day to do it with the sale on the RED 3TB drives at the Egg.

Any thoughts on those 2? I know the 1512+ has 5 bays and is leagues faster plus has the ability to expand to a 15 bay device (real nice) but the price is around $800 compared to the $400 for the 413J which is only 4 bays, no expandability and a lot slower.

Main things I will be using it for would be to store my dvd/bluray collection and distribute it through the house and maybe pictures. I was thinking of using PLEX to be able to watch things on my tablet but I do not count that as a needed thing if that is the only thing I would have to spend the extra $400 for.

I love the 1512+ but, to be honest, the price is the sticking point. $800 for a NAS and then another $700 for the 5 drives is freaking expensive lol If I go with the low end 413J I would be under $1000 with only 4 drives but would I be happy with the performance?

I hope to get some answers REAL fast because the egg sale ends tonight or tomorrow and I want to get the stuff ordered ASAP so I dont miss the sale. I would just order 5 of the drives but the 413J only has 4 slots :( Guess I could use it externally or in another computer....

Really hoping some people on here have used both and can give some real world advise. I love looking at speed charts but it just isnt the same as first hand knowledge.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Re: Synology 1512+ or DS413J?

Post by KnightRid »

2 votes through twitter for the 1512+ so far.

Spend more now and be happier down the road in the general consensus at this point.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Screw it, they were selling out fast on Amazon for the 1512+ so I snagged one with 1000' network cable and accessories cause I will need to run a new line(s).

I also snagged 5 of the WD RED 3TB drives on Newegg.

My wife is going to kill me. I will donate said unit to Legit Reviews in case I am unable to be rebuilt in the hospital after her initial attack :axe:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

good choice.

it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission!
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

You made a good choice with the 1512+. I have one here that I use as an iscsi device only but I have done some poking around with it and it has a ton of features. Speed is really good, though I cant say for sure how it will be with the red drives. Post some test results if you get a chance, would like to see how they compare to mine (ideally test with bonded nic's or else the network will most likely be the bottleneck, though you may not have hardware to do this).

You may want to do the ram upgrade as well if you get a chance, it helps quite a bit. You can get the module for really cheap, just do some digging on the synology forums for compatible part numbers. I dont remember what I put in mine or I would give you that one, if I get a chance ill check.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

kenc51 wrote:good choice.

it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission!
So that means you will have a spare bedroom for me if she kicks me out? :lol:
egloeckle wrote:You made a good choice with the 1512+. I have one here that I use as an iscsi device only but I have done some poking around with it and it has a ton of features. Speed is really good, though I cant say for sure how it will be with the red drives. Post some test results if you get a chance, would like to see how they compare to mine (ideally test with bonded nic's or else the network will most likely be the bottleneck, though you may not have hardware to do this).

You may want to do the ram upgrade as well if you get a chance, it helps quite a bit. You can get the module for really cheap, just do some digging on the synology forums for compatible part numbers. I dont remember what I put in mine or I would give you that one, if I get a chance ill check.
I figured I would see what memory modules I have laying around here that may work to upgrade it. I dont think I have a system with dual nic's for binding plus my switch and router are not (I guess it is called) managed so they cant offer the speed of more than 1 connection anyway.

Tell me the programs you want me to use to test it with and I will see what I can do once I get it and have it all hooked up. Probably wont be here till next week and then another day or 2 to get it setup with the drives and partitioned.
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

KnightRid wrote: I figured I would see what memory modules I have laying around here that may work to upgrade it. I dont think I have a system with dual nic's for binding plus my switch and router are not (I guess it is called) managed so they cant offer the speed of more than 1 connection anyway.

Tell me the programs you want me to use to test it with and I will see what I can do once I get it and have it all hooked up. Probably wont be here till next week and then another day or 2 to get it setup with the drives and partitioned.
I kinda figured, dont worry about it then. Even with those drives in raid6 the limiting factor will be the NIC on the 1512+. The initial setup process for the synology units is a bit odd at first, that they come with no O/S on them but it is a fairly straight forward process. Just remember the default modules are only a small portion of what the thing can do, there are a bunch of addons to expand on what the unit can do for pretty much everything. Anything there isnt a module for, you can usually get running since the OS is linux based, though that does take some knowledge of linux to do.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Yes, I saw there are a ton of "apps" that can be run directly on it. I just doubt I will use many of them since it will be pretty much just to hold all my dvds/blurays so I can pack the discs away.