HDDs all Junk now?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

HDDs all Junk now?

Post by Kaos Kid »

Perusing the customer reviews at the oval white one I see that there has been a rash of complaints across all the manufacturers lately about defective HDDs in the 1TB>>>4TB ranges. What has happened, are they all trying to use the platters and PCBs that were underwater from the Tsunami? The top manufacturers are not exempt, and where you used to expect a 3>5 year warranty, now you are lucky to have a one year warranty. Really? Sounds like they are wanting us to give up in disgust so we will start (over)paying for undersized SSDs. Bummer, I need some drivespace, and I don't like the whole cloud idea for personal or important file retrieval. Pfffft.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: HDDs all Junk now?

Post by Major_A »

I imagine it's all luck of the draw. Generally the only people who write reviews are pissed off or think the product shoots rainbows. The average user/satisfied customers generally don't write reviews. Keep in mind too that most reviews on Newegg are posted by clueless people (just read their review :shock: ).
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Perhaps it's not so much the people that have reported bad drives as much as the way the people have reported that the drives weren't packaged very well, or even worse were packaged well but when hooked up immediately made grinding noises. Quality Control before something walks gets plasti-sealed and walks out the door from the manufacturer seems to be lacking lately. So far Egg has treated me OK, after the 2nd bad Rosewill router they RMA'd the 2nd at no cost also and let drop the combo USB adapter I got with the first one originally, so for all my trouble back then (tons of trouble-shooting and two trips to FedEx) I got a dual band N600UBE for $5 (not really worth the hassle, but better than nothing. The Dlink DIR850L I got to replace that has had a few dropped connections but so far has worked OK at N speeds, haven't had an AC adapter to try that yet). The shame is I still have some 10 year old IDE drives that are still going, but new SATAs are showing up DOA. Go figure.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Bubba mentioned in a post that he bought something like a dozen drives for work and a quarter of those were DOA.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Don't forget the couriers (FedEx, UPS, USPS). Some of their drivers don't give a rat's ass and just toss stuff.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

InspectahACE wrote:Don't forget the couriers (FedEx, UPS, USPS). Some of their drivers don't give a rat's ass and just toss stuff.
I know, that's a damn shame--there are people looking for work (like me) that would be happy to carry a package to your door on a silk pillow and place it down as gently as an egg for what they get paid. :evil:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Major_A wrote:Bubba mentioned in a post that he bought something like a dozen drives for work and a quarter of those were DOA.
Yup, so when I buy drives I check them soon as they show up. Even then some die after use.

Doesn't matter the manufacturer either.

It has been interesting to see the way the packing has evolved from Egg. Last drive I got was wrapped in bubble wrap, in a box, in little more bubble wrap, and their brown paper packing.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson