Benchies with Kingston V300 120GB SSD

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Benchies with Kingston V300 120GB SSD

Post by Kaos Kid »

This is what I got with the CrystalDiskMark and the ATTO Benchmark programs. This was done in Windows 7, but was done from an SSD that was copied from a partition on a platter drive. This is using the 2006 generic msahci drive, I have read a lot of negative stuff about using the AMD AHCI drivers and how hard it is to get rid of them once you do install them.

CrystalDisk SSD Benchmark.jpg
CrystalDisk SSD Benchmark.jpg (34.6 KiB) Viewed 20871 times
ATTO SSD Benchmark.jpg
ATTO SSD Benchmark.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 20871 times

The writes don't look too good on the CrystalDiskMark bench, but looks better on the ATTO bench. What do you think?
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
FZ1

Re: Benchies with Kingston V300 120GB SSD

Post by FZ1 »

Writes seem low on both accounts although if the drive being tested is also the OS drive, the results will be less than optimal.
Joe
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

This is from their claimed specs and yes it is from the O/S drive that is copied.
Max Sequential Read
Up to 450 MB/s

Max Sequential Write
Up to 450 MB/s

4KB Random Read
Up to 85,000 IOPS

4KB Random Write
Up to 55,000 IOPS

The pisser is when I first got it I did a migrate using the enclosed 2010 TrueImage Lite tool that I got from the first drive that I won from this site last year. I seem to remember benching showing higher results and like a doofus I let the AMD drivers update to the latest drivers on the windows update site. Since then I saw on other forums people having problems so I went back and deleted all traces of AMD AHCI and RAID drivers from the System32 DriverStore FileRepository folder and also the registry so even if I go to device manager and try to update drivers by searching computer it will only show the generic M$ ahci drivers and no others offered. So now I don't know if that was ever an issue or not, and will never know without a fresh reinstall and I don't want to do that.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

I've been seeing mixed results like this on some SSD's lately. CDM used to my go to for performance, sadly though I'm having to look at a couple to get a good picture of the drive :rolleyes:
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

On several new Haswell based systems, I ran benchmarks on them...
Sandra
CDM
HD Tune
HD Tach
AS SSD
ATTO
Performance Test

Most of them had the SSD's maxing the read out between 250 and 300MB/s and 100 and 150MB/s write. ATTO and Performance Test had read 500 - 520MB/s and 125 - 150MB/s write..
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Something isn't right with your setup. I'm running the same drive on a SATA II motherboard so I'm limited to a max of 250MBs read and write.

Since you cloned from a drive to an SSD you might need to do a 4K alignment.
Download AS SSD but don't run the benchmarks. It will show you in the app if you are aligned or not.

If you are not aligned then you will need to use some software to fix it. I haven't used this software so I can't comment on how well it works.
http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-par ... nager.html

If none of this helps give this guide a shot. Some of it's good info an some of it's pretty useless (in my opinion).
http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/ ... 8-edition/
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Good call Major_A, all 3 of my O/S SSDs were out of alignment (all three said 31K bad) since all had partitions cloned/copied from platter drives. I was able to use this free program:

Mini Tool Partition Manager Home Edition 8

to change alignments, the program had to reboot to make the changes but now AS SSD shows all have a 1024K alignment. Benches seem to be closer to what they should considering I am on AMD chipset and find tradeoffs between using the msahci generic driver and the latest AMD SATA AHCI driver. Would you say that ATTO is probably the closest to comprehensive and true readings that I can get? And if so, is the 1GB setting the best to benchmark at?

Thanks for the heads up on that!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

ATTO is what all the manufacturers seem to use since it shows the fast and most generic results. Since ATTO reported that you are running roughly 500MB/s for read and write you are maxing out the SATA III port. Like FZ1 said too that since it's your OS drive there is overhead from Windows. Most if not all SSD reviews on the net are with the SSD being a non-OS drive to get the "best" results.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Here is ATTO for all three of my SSDs with O/S's post-alignment. The Giga785 is a SATA2 mobo running Win7 (main utility, torrents, etc. lots of programs and junk) and seems to be saturated, and the other two SSDs are on the ASUS890 board SATA3 mobo, one drive running Win7 the other running Win8, they seem to be doing their job at least as well as can be expected for budget $80 SSDs :) All are using the generic M$ driver. Major_A your ATTO is a little higher probably due to your Intel chipset and using the Intel driver which I've heard is better than the M$ or the AMD SATA drivers.
ATTO SSD Benchmark MSAHCI Gigabyte785 Board.jpg
ATTO SSD Benchmark MSAHCI Gigabyte785 Board.jpg (81 KiB) Viewed 20734 times
ATTO SSD Benchmark Win7 ASUS890 msahci SATAIII.jpg
ATTO SSD Benchmark Win7 ASUS890 msahci SATAIII.jpg (79.71 KiB) Viewed 20734 times
ATTO SSD Benchmark Win8 ASUS890 storahci SATAIII.JPG
ATTO SSD Benchmark Win8 ASUS890 storahci SATAIII.JPG (63.87 KiB) Viewed 20734 times
Most if not all SSD reviews on the net are with the SSD being a non-OS drive to get the "best" results.
Yeah I can see that, they want to be able to justify their claims. Not very realistic though since the main reason I got SSDs was to boot/load up faster and have snapper response across the board. All my junk err... important data will go to the platter drives once I am satisfied that these will stay stable. FWIW the Win8 drive doesn't really have any other programs installed, just the O/S. I have been waiting for Win8.1 to be released to see whether it will necessitate a fresh install or just a service pack style upgrade.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

People dog Windows 8 because of the cosmetic issues. The stuff they did under the hood is what I like and I think it worth the purchase. I haven't bought Windows 8 yet but I plan on it once 8.1 comes out. Doesn't hurt either that my little sister is in law school at UH and they get awesome prices for software.
https://webstore.hied.com/cgi-bin/WebOb ... TcHniK8Nvu

Here's another app to see how fast your Windows machine is booting.
http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/

So far here are the results on my backup/surfing PC with the Intel ICH9 SATA II chipset.

sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

I would definetly do a fresh install of WIndows 8. I went from Windows 8 to WIndows 8.1 through the upgrade, and little things left behind and changes drove me up the wall. Plus I can feel my system is a bit slower. Whether that's 8.1 or not, can't say until I do a fresh install, which I had planned on this past weekend before I got sick.

One that drives me up the wall the most, right click on desktop, takes like 6 seconds to open the menu. Win8 it was instant. Just stuff that...plus having to re-activate software or do reinstalls. 8 to 8.1 broke some installs of benchmarks and a few others.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Do you mean the preview? I didn't it think it was officially released yet on the update site.
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

I have a MSDN account so I already have the RTM :)
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

sgkean wrote:I have a MSDN account so I already have the RTM :)
OK so are you bragging or complaining? :lol:
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

LOL Depends on the time and what's going on...sometimes the MSDN is a curse, especially at the dayjob...