Solid-State Drive Catches on Fire and Dies Dramatic Death

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Solid-State Drive Catches on Fire and Dies Dramatic Death

Post by Apoptosis »

Plugged in a Corsair P256 SSD off the shelf to move some files around in the test lab and when the system fired up I noticed smoke and the SSD cable was glowing red with a bit of a flame. I kicked the power off and the drive is toast, but the other SSD that was plugged into the same power cable is just fine. Never had an SSD catch on fire and burn up like that.

Here are a couple pictures. The plastic was still soft when I pulled the power cable off the drive. The plastic hardened on the SATA power connector and I used a screw driver to get it off and that is why the pins there are jacked up. The copper wire pins in the PSU modular cable are melted away and gone. Not sure what happened, but just wanted to share.
SSD-Fire.jpg
ssd-cable-fire.jpg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Solid-State Drive Catches on Fire and Dies Dramatic Deat

Post by InspectahACE »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Sounds like the ground wire somehow crossed the live - I killed a psu by rewiring a molex connector backwards
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

kenc51 wrote:Sounds like the ground wire somehow crossed the live - I killed a psu by rewiring a molex connector backwards
yeah, but I pulled it off the optical drive and plugged it into the SSD.... No wire switching ever and the drive that was further down the power cable was fine.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Sounds like the short was inside the SSD.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=