Page 1 of 1

Solid-State Drive Catches on Fire and Dies Dramatic Death

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:59 pm
by Apoptosis
Plugged in a Corsair P256 SSD off the shelf to move some files around in the test lab and when the system fired up I noticed smoke and the SSD cable was glowing red with a bit of a flame. I kicked the power off and the drive is toast, but the other SSD that was plugged into the same power cable is just fine. Never had an SSD catch on fire and burn up like that.

Here are a couple pictures. The plastic was still soft when I pulled the power cable off the drive. The plastic hardened on the SATA power connector and I used a screw driver to get it off and that is why the pins there are jacked up. The copper wire pins in the PSU modular cable are melted away and gone. Not sure what happened, but just wanted to share.

SSD-Fire.jpg

ssd-cable-fire.jpg

Re: Solid-State Drive Catches on Fire and Dies Dramatic Deat

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:54 pm
by InspectahACE
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Re: Solid-State Drive Catches on Fire and Dies Dramatic Deat

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:31 am
by kenc51
Sounds like the ground wire somehow crossed the live - I killed a psu by rewiring a molex connector backwards

Re: Solid-State Drive Catches on Fire and Dies Dramatic Deat

Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:31 pm
by Apoptosis
kenc51 wrote:Sounds like the ground wire somehow crossed the live - I killed a psu by rewiring a molex connector backwards


yeah, but I pulled it off the optical drive and plugged it into the SSD.... No wire switching ever and the drive that was further down the power cable was fine.

Re: Solid-State Drive Catches on Fire and Dies Dramatic Deat

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:48 pm
by sbohdan
Sounds like the short was inside the SSD.