Dual Layer DVD±R

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Dual Layer DVD±R

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

OK, once again I voluntarily ask the stupid question about something.....

I've never used dual layer DVDs for anything. I'm looking at them primarily for backing up my rather large movie/music collection lest I lose it all to a dead drive. Additionally, some of my movies, like "Blade Runner" are on multiple discs so I'd like to put both parts on one disc in order to play it in my DVD player in the living room.

My question is that I can only seem to find dual layer discs in +R format which does not work (or it never has) in a regular DVD player. Can anyone tell me where I can find the -R variety?

I did find these http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-4 ... 18355.aspx on a Mac forum but they're not highly recommended in the reviews because they're only 4x. My burner is 12x for DL. Every other place I've looked only has +R.

Thanks!
J
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
KnightRid

Re: Dual Layer DVD±R

Post by KnightRid »

I always used +R and it has worked in every device i put it in.......

If you have a REAL old dvd player it may not work but I think any within the past couple years will play them. Just make sure to burn it as a dvd and close it out (which I dont even think that matters much anymore as most will play open RW's too I believe).

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?f ... 2941120011

Amazon has some - I saw RiData and then stopped looking since I dont use them anyway LOL You may be stuck with RiData unless you switch to +R's
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Thanks! I have a Sony Blu-ray player that I bought roughly when I bought our Sony 40" TV which I think was 2010-11. Hard to believe it's been that long already.

As I recall it wouldn't play +R. But I'll have to double check now. It's been so long that I honestly can't remember. I might well be confusing mine with the one my mom had.

After you hit 50 things start blurring together! :rolleyes:
Especially time.

Thanks again!
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan
larryccf
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by larryccf »

you might try asking over on avsforum.com - it's been a year or so, but i found some TY double layer -R disks - they weren't cheap, about $0.63/disk, but TY has a pretty decent rep in the audio/video community. They're just hard to find. Of all places, i found them on sears (roebucks) online store, - they have some sort of "associated vendors" program, kind of a mini-scale version of amazon - i had no idea, but felt a little more secure in the purchase dealing thru sears.

The other choice was amazon japan
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

The slower you record, the more reliable is the recording and less of a chance for data loss! I never record faster than 8x and I would rather do it with 1x if I could get a recorder with that speed. So 4x is good.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=