Page 1 of 2

SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:26 am
by camaroguy1998
I inherited an HP Pavillion p6204y about a year or so ago! The Hdd in it was apparently failing. So I bought a Mushkin 240G SSD to replace the factory drive. I loaded Win7 with my disc and the original key code! Its been running pretty good until recently. A warning popped up a few days ago saying the SSD is dangerously low on space! I checked it and it showed 460mb left of open space. I went and cleaned it up some, brought it up to 960mb.
Today I checkd it again and its back to 460mb open space. So I lost 500mb of open space in 24hrs.


What can cause open space on a drive to just get ate away? I've looked at all the folders and files on the drive and cannot figure out whats going on!
I've lost well over 100 to 140G's in a relatively short period of time.
Any ideas what could be going on?

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:43 am
by KnightRid
Drive indexing? - find the windows.edb file and see how big that puppy is. You may have to stop the indexing service to delete the file or else restart in safe mode to do it. It will rebuild itself as maybe it got stuck on something and just went crazy (like Windows doesn't do that on a daily basis). I would turn it off if you just have a ssd. This may not be your problem but a good place to start at least.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows

Mine is 6.65GB in size :shock: but then I have 7 drives in the system plus my NAS

So - control Panel --->indexing options - shows me I only have 42,523 items indexed so i am thinking mine went whacky too. In that same window click the ADVANCED button then the REBUILD button - It may take a LONG time depending on what all you have indexed. Will update to see what my file size is after indexing for a comparison.

Dropped to 184MB after rebuild :partyman:

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:23 am
by camaroguy1998
KnightRid wrote:Drive indexing? - find the windows.edb file and see how big that puppy is. You may have to stop the indexing service to delete the file or else restart in safe mode to do it. It will rebuild itself as maybe it got stuck on something and just went crazy (like Windows doesn't do that on a daily basis). I would turn it off if you just have a ssd. This may not be your problem but a good place to start at least.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows

Mine is 6.65GB in size :shock: but then I have 7 drives in the system plus my NAS

So - control Panel --->indexing options - shows me I only have 42,523 items indexed so i am thinking mine went whacky too. In that same window click the ADVANCED button then the REBUILD button - It may take a LONG time depending on what all you have indexed. Will update to see what my file size is after indexing for a comparison.

Dropped to 184MB after rebuild :partyman:


I followed your directions, pretty sure there is a problem! Just not sure where! This is what I got....

27 items indexed

Insufficient disk space to continue indexing. Search results might not be complete.


I am down to 404MB left on drive!
Oh before I tried to rebuild, it showed 1,4xx items indexed.
windows.edb is 74mb

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:33 am
by KnightRid
Ok, https://windirstat.net/

That should let you see which directory/etc is big.

You can also check your temp folder ( open a cmd window and type ECHO %Temp% to get the exact location of your windows temp folder if you dont know it ), hibernate file and pagefile (both of those should be in the root directory of your c drive unless you moved them or disabled them.

Also - http://crystalmark.info/software/Crysta ... dex-e.html - check the smart reading on the ssd to make sure there is nothing going bad with the drive.

I will try and keep checking this to respond faster.

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:42 am
by camaroguy1998
I should be working on it again sometime late afternoon/evening.
Thanx Knightrid!
I appreciate the help!

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:33 am
by KnightRid
No problem man, I hope we can get it figured out!

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:25 am
by camaroguy1998
KnightRid wrote:Ok, https://windirstat.net/

That should let you see which directory/etc is big.

You can also check your temp folder ( open a cmd window and type ECHO %Temp% to get the exact location of your windows temp folder if you dont know it ), hibernate file and pagefile (both of those should be in the root directory of your c drive unless you moved them or disabled them.

Also - http://crystalmark.info/software/Crysta ... dex-e.html - check the smart reading on the ssd to make sure there is nothing going bad with the drive.

I will try and keep checking this to respond faster.


According to windirstat. My temp file is the BIG file!(at 3:24am)
pagefile.sys is 5.47GB
hiberfil.sys is 4.49GB
temp file is 181.3GB

Dont worry about your response time! My time is all night! :)

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:22 am
by KnightRid
There you go, check out that temp directory and clean it out. Maybe it has left over install programs and such from windows.

take that temp file and do this :toimonster:

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:29 am
by camaroguy1998
KnightRid wrote:There you go, check out that temp directory and clean it out. Maybe it has left over install programs and such from windows.

take that temp file and do this :toimonster:


All my years of dealing with windows, i've never seen this!
Can I delete the folder or its contents and Windows will recreate it?

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:51 am
by KnightRid
I would just delete the contents, not the folder.

Windows will continue to use it and it may get crap in it again.

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:54 am
by camaroguy1998
Pretty much what i figured! Thanx Knightrid!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:55 am
by KnightRid
camaroguy1998 wrote:Pretty much what i figured! Thanx Knightrid!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

No problem man.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:38 pm
by camaroguy1998
Well that didnt work out so well.
I deleted most everything in the folder and only picked up about 950MB
:shock:

Update: Ok, I'm starting to freak out a little!
Using WinDirStat, it shows my C. drive as 43.1GB. Windows being the big file at 29.9
That all seems normal to me but,
When I look at my C drive through windows it shows it as 860MB free of 223GB
Yes I did reboot after deleting files and yes I emptied the Recycle bin.

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:52 pm
by KnightRid
Try scanning for the size of.the folders again and see what's up. Maybe hidden files or folders

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:08 pm
by camaroguy1998
KnightRid wrote:Try scanning for the size of.the folders again and see what's up. Maybe hidden files or folders

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


I opened windirstat (twice)
Before it analyzes the drive it shows the drive as 863MB free of 223GB.
After it analyzes the drive, it breaks down to what I consider normal. C: drive at 43.3GB, Windows being the largest file at 29.9GB.
Even if I add up all the files under windows it evens out at 43.3GB

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:14 pm
by KnightRid
Disk quota? Right click drive, left click properties and check the tab for disk quota just to make sure it's off

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:16 pm
by camaroguy1998
KnightRid wrote:Disk quota? Right click drive, left click properties and check the tab for disk quota just to make sure it's off

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


Disk Quota is Disabled!

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:20 pm
by KnightRid
Ok what is the drive showing now in windows? Is it saying the c drive is only 43gb?

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:21 pm
by camaroguy1998
KnightRid wrote:Ok what is the drive showing now in windows? Is it saying the c drive is only 43gb?


I wish! Windows shows 863MB free of 223GB

Re: SSD space disappearing?

Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:25 pm
by KnightRid
Chkdsk /r if you have not tried that. Make sure to do it from elevated cmd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk