New Hard drive, why does it say F drive?

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

New Hard drive, why does it say F drive?

Post by sbjlsmtj »

I replaced my hard drive (only have one in system) and now it says "F" for the hard drive instead of "C". How can I change that? I'm having problems of programs looking to install on C and it not being there. So the programs I have installed, if you all tell me how to change it to C, will it affect the ones I've installed while it said F ?
Thanks
NZXT Tempest Case with Ultra X3 1000w PS...............Velociraptor 300gb HD
Intel Core i7 920......................................................12 gb Corsair DDR-3 1333 Dominator Ram
Asus P6T Deluxe MB..................................................Asetek CPU Liquid Cooling
EVGA GTX295 Video..................................................Vista Home Prem 64
40" Toshiba Monitor
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

You are honestly better off reinstalling Windows because the programs you have already installed with letter F will have to be uninstalled and reinstalled which I personally think will bugger up the registry too much. I have seen 3rd party software claim they can fix this but in situations like this I have seen more failures than successes with this approach.
Diagram of Hardware Profile
----------------------------------------------------------
BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights Reserved.
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

damn

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Wholly ****, I hate damn computers. Why the hell did it assign it as an F? Why didn't it ask me about that when it was installing? Even if I re installed windows, wouldn't it do the same thing again? I've spent 8 hours installing and updating on that new HD. This sucks, man I hate computers!
Intel Core i7 920......................................................12 gb Corsair DDR-3 1333 Dominator Ram
Asus P6T Deluxe MB..................................................Asetek CPU Liquid Cooling
EVGA GTX295 Video..................................................Vista Home Prem 64
40" Toshiba Monitor
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Well, I actually answered something similar to your question on another forum. Windows and Unix (but not Linux) has a very important rule for installation of their OSes. The OS will only boot from an active primary partition on the first drive. More than likely you had a drive with C,D,and E on it. And I would not be surprised if you made drive D and E as primary partitions as well (MS does not exactly tell you to make the partitions as extended partitions). Somehow, you installed this new drive and it was the first drive on the sequence of drives to boot from and when MS read the drive letterings of the other drive it deduced that it must be drive F. Since you have removed the other drive, when you install XP on this drive again it will be treated as drive C. However, I would like to see a print-screen of your Disk Management window to make sure for you. Basically, the first partition on the drive should not have a green border (primary partition) around it and all the rest of the partitions should have a green border (extended drives) around all of them.
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

?

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Well time for one of those dumb questions, where is the disc management screen? I want to copy and print, just don't know where it is.

I almost thinking that this HD is not going to make it, the chirping sound is happening more often, so looks like I will have to re load everything anyway.

Just another of the long string of "why does all this stuff happen to me" entries into my registry LOL.
40" Toshiba Monitor
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

I would run a diagnostic on that drive to make sure it's ok. A chirp could be something on the circuit board that is about blow.

How to get to disk management:
Right-click 'My Computer' on the XP Start menu.
Select 'Manage'
The Computer Management Window should come up with a list of programs on the left pane. One of them is called 'Disk Management' - click on that and the right pane will come up with information on all the disks on your computer.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

well wait.... option(maybe)

can you go into drive management and change i, or have yo tried?

right click on my computer, go to manage. after that go to disk management. find your drive and change the letter.

I have my data drive as W:\ so when i reformat and i have all my itunes songs linked to my W:\ drive so i dont have to keep adding the songs and redo them the way i want. all i have to do is link my data and im done on reformats.
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Dragon_Cooler, it's one thing to do a letter change with a partition that contains just data; it's much different when you are changing a letter with a partition that involves massive registry settings for getting programs to run. Changing the system drive is one drive you don't change the letter.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

forgive my ignorance. My fault that i didnt read all of it :oops:

direguard me then. LOL
sbjlsmtj
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

long

Post by sbjlsmtj »

Sorry it took so long to get back, I'm posting another problem Ken and I have been trying to figure out. It says F partition 195 healthy and saa-ctc-web d healty. Not sure what that means but their healthy lol.
40" Toshiba Monitor