RAID ISSUES

Hard Drives, Optical Drives, USB keys, Flash memory. Need help with or have experiences with a storage device? Share it in here!
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

RAID ISSUES

Post by LVCapo »

Alright guys, maybe I'm overthinking this, maybe i'm missing something simple....but heres my problem.
This morning i got some kind of wild hair up my butt and decided to hook up my two hitachi SATA HDD to the VIA RAID controller. then i took my Maxtor DM10 and hooked it up to the Promise controller. The hitachis are set up as RAID0, the Maxtor is set up as IDE mode on the Promise.
So I already had Winpx on both, though i was only using the hitachis. I enablled both in the BIOS and set up the Hitachis as the boot. It booted into windows fine, but in the system panel, the Maxtor wasn't showing up. The device manager said there was some kind of error.
So I rebooted, again, same thing, even after updating and installing drivers again. So I switched to the Maxto as the boot drive, it fired right up, and the hitachis showed up in the list. I want to set up my hitachis as the boot, and use the maxtor for either storage or experimenting with other OSs. So then i went back into the BIOS and set up the Hitachis as the boot, and when it got to the windows screen things went screwy and it repeatedly rebooted. i ended up having to do a clean reinstall and lost eveyrhting i hadn't backed up.
How can i set up my hitachis as the boot HDD, yet still have the Maxtor available as storage? it works the other way around, but to me thats kinda worthless. i've thought and rethought my way through this...to no avail.What am i missing here?
Xerxes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Xerxes »

let me just take a moment to say I hate via's sata controller it's a major pain in the ass to get it to work with RIS (remote installation services) heh on some boards like the k8vse it wont work with RIS period and on some like the K8MM i got it to install fine but then it wont load xp after the install is done, sadly the only other a64 board the shop I work at sells is the K8T neo atm, i will try that one in the next few days. Hopefully we'll get some nf3 250s in soon.

ok back to your problem :) just to double check you set the promise as a straight ide controller and not as raid controller in the bios and installed the single ide drivers and not the raid ones in xp?