NVidia Bios Flashing

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

NVidia Bios Flashing

Post by Illuminati »

I have started messing around with flashing the Gainward Ultra/1100XT I have. This card features the GFFX5900XT core with Hynix 2.5ns ram capable of 800MHz DDR (and more). **Edit** - Just to be clear, our review sample happened to have 2.5ns ram... most retail cards will still only feature 2.8ns ram garaunteed to run at the 780MHz Enhanced mode setting. **End of Edit**

Original Gainward 5900XT Bios
First off, with the original Gainward bios, autodetect in coolbits overclocks this card to 473/869... and it works!

AOpen 5900 Non-Ultra Bios
I first flashed this card with a 5900nu bios so the card would run at 400/800 default. This worked flawlessly. When using autodetect to overclock the card, I now get 432/914 and it works!

NVidia 5900Ultra or ASUS 5900 Ultra Bios
Using either of these 5900 Ultra bios' cause instabilities. Even though the Gainward card can run at pretty much 475 on the core and the memory has been all the way up to 914 and stable... but using the 5900 Ultra bios where the core/mem run at 475/850, this card freezes in 3D apps. Using Autodetect causes the core and mem to run at 441/833 and that too crashes, though not as quickly.

Possible Issues??
Could there be an issue with this card having Hynix memory and possibly the two 5900 Ultra bios' I tried being made for Samsung or other memory?

Another possible issue is I'm wondering if the Ultra bios enables parts of the 5900XT that are just not stable for this particular core on the card I have... Like maybe the extra voltage is causing problems?

Please give your input... I'm very interested in finding out if anyone knows for fact of which 5900 Ultra bios out there would be made for cards with Hynix memory.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by Illuminati on Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

fyi the graphic on the main site is wrong. you have the PMI thumbnail rather than the Gainward pic.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

infinitevalence wrote:fyi the graphic on the main site is wrong. you have the PMI thumbnail rather than the Gainward pic.
Hum... Nate told me the same thing this morning. After he hit the refresh button on the browser... the gainward thumbnail came up. It really is there... I uploaded it last night :).
Justin West
Brax
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Brax »

You should try the trick where you can flash a 5900 to a 5950
roberdjp
Legit User
Legit User

Post by roberdjp »

I don't know anything about this stuff, but I have heard it mentioned on a few different forums. Where can I find more information about doing this? I have an older card (it's a GF4) -- is it worth my while to do some research about it?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Justin (aka: Illuminati)

should be writing up an article for Legit Reviews on how to flash a BIOS very soon. He's doing his college finals right now, but during the next couple weeks he should have some free time to write it all up.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Ya, after school gets out... I'll give you all a quick write up on how to flash your nvidia card.

It's really simple... just like flashing your motherboard bios.

And btw, I'm still looking to see if anyone has any insight to my problem described in the top post in this thread.

Thanks!
Justin West
Mavke
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Mavke »

If you are looking to flash you FX5900XT/NU/U to something better then it would be a good idea to check : http://www.mvktech.net.

This site has over 250 Geforce FX BIOS Files from different Brands and Speeds...
Mavke
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Mavke »

There are now also Modded BIOS Files available :-)
- Volt Modded
- Speed Modded (Core and Mem)