Cool NVIDIA Optimus Demo - Removing The GPU When Running

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool NVIDIA Optimus Demo - Removing The GPU When Running

Post by Apoptosis »

NVIDIA sent me an e-mail tipping me off about a blog post that they did today about an Optimus demo that is a must-see...
NVIDIA Optimus optimizes the mobile experience by letting the user get the performance of discrete graphics from a notebook while still delivering great battery life. Optimus accomplishes this by automatically and seamlessly selecting the right graphics processor for the job between an NVIDIA discrete GPU or an Intel integrated GPU.

With Optimus, when the discrete GPU is not in use, the power is off and it does not even use a trickle of battery. This video proves it by pulling the GPU out of a running system….and it keeps running.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/2010/0 ... d-ion.html
Here is the meat:
Today we posted a behind the scenes video from an NVIDIA engineering lab here in Santa Clara that captures one of the cool capabilities of Optimus, NVIDIA’s new technology that automatically optimizes your notebook for performance and battery life. The video demonstrates Optimus’ capability to immediately power on and off the GPU when an application needs it – all while the system is up and running.

The benefit of electrically shutting off components in your notebook, including the GPU, is that it extends battery life. Compared to a standard notebook with a discrete GPU Optimus can extend battery life up to 2x*. The benefit of immediately turning it on again is, of course, that you get all the graphics and processing capabilities of the GPU at a moment’s notice. Few people ever get to see this demo because it requires a completely open notebook system – no chassis – just the motherboard, CPU, GPU, Hard drive, and monitor, so it is not exactly portable. This demo is really killer with engineering teams that design notebooks. They practically fall out of their chairs when they see it.

Why? Because with Optimus when the GPU is not needed it is completely powered off automatically and seamlessly WHILE the rest of the system is up and running – the power to the PCI Express bus, the frame buffer memory, the GPU - everything. This is in contrast to switching the GPU to a low-power state or to ‘idle’, which would still draw power. You can of course prove the GPU is electrically off by using battery benchmarks and software tests. But the fun way to prove it is to physically PULL THE GPU out of the system while the system is still on and working.

So that’s what we do in the demo.

Even better, when you put the GPU back into the system you can fire up an application that needs it, and the GPU immediately turns on and renders all the pixels needed by the application.

The benefit is that your notebook gets great performance and great battery life – and as you can see in this video it simply works.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
gwolfman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Cool NVIDIA Optimus Demo - Removing The GPU When Running

Post by gwolfman »

Very nice. Thanks for the update/post.
Rollo
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Cool NVIDIA Optimus Demo - Removing The GPU When Running

Post by Rollo »

I've been using an Optimus laptop for the last couple weeks, the switching is seamless. I've got the Asus UL50VF and the battery life is pretty amazing. It's also a very light and cool running laptop, which I appreciate more every day. The 210M isn't going to replace my GTX295s, but it gets the job done pretty well on older games like Painkiller, UT2004, etc..
NVIDIA Focus Group Member
NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.