Triple SLI or 3-Way SLI GeForce GTX 480 Video Cards

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Triple SLI or 3-Way SLI GeForce GTX 480 Video Cards

Post by Apoptosis »

Chris Morley over at MainGear has spent several days playing around with some GeForce GTX 480 video cards and has been focusing on triple SLI or 3-Way SLI performance numbers since pretty much no reviewer got three GeForce GTX 480 for last weeks launch. The guys over at MainGear obviously got at least three of them and they benchmarked them in the high-end Shift gaming PC that they would love to sell to anyone than can afford the $2500+ enthusiast system.

How sexy is this Maingear Shift System:
maingrear1.jpg
maingrear1.jpg (107.44 KiB) Viewed 7581 times
maingear2.jpg
maingear2.jpg (92.04 KiB) Viewed 7581 times
maingear3.jpg
maingear3.jpg (90.42 KiB) Viewed 7581 times
Regardless of brand preference, any time AMD and NVIDIA release a new generation of architecture, we technologists and consumers of technology should get excited. These companies bring to the table hardware that truly changes the way we look at computing. More now than ever, the GPU is playing an increasingly important role in our day-to-day computing experiences. No longer a product reserved for gamers, the GPU has expanded its role to take on more and more everyday computing tasks.
In today’s Windows 7 environment, technologies like DirectX 11 with DirectCompute, and most notably NVIDIA’s CUDA architecture, the GPU is being used for everything from the mundane 3D acceleration of the Windows 7 Aero interface, to transcoding videos for use on portable media players, increasing the quality of standard definition video, 3D high definition movies, and yes, even gaming with eye-candy only imaginable just a few years ago.

So you can imagine that today’s release of the GTX 480 and 470, while a long time coming, is a very important event. We have our GeForce GTX 400-series landing page here - please check it out!

We’re lucky enough to share with you some internal impressions and numbers we’ve seen from NVIDIA’s latest and greatest. While we’ll show you the performance numbers you crave, we’re going to approach this from the standpoint of a system builder. There are plenty of great tech websites out there that will give you a comprehensive review, and we’ll be sharing some of the same data with you, and we know what everyone wants to see: SLI results. So we’ve quickly prepared some benchmarks with 1, 2, and 3-way Fermi.
Source
cw2.jpg
cw2.jpg (32.86 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
fc22.jpg
fc22.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
bm2n.jpg
bm2n.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
Attachments
heaven2c.jpg
heaven2c.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Triple SLI or 3-Way SLI GeForce GTX 480 Video Cards

Post by hark »

The performance seems pretty good, especially in the Unigine Heaven 2.0 demo, but the thought of how much heat it generates and how much power it draws makes me shudder. Awesome system, though!
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

=P~ =P~ =P~
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Interesting to see the little tweaks to the air intake of the cards.

Even with the vertical system format, the inner most two cards are surely going to suffocate.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
thehybridfrog
Legit User
Legit User

Post by thehybridfrog »

Even if he ducts the air intakes, aren't the metal fins on top of the cards going to roast the backside of the next card over? I thought nVidia strongly suggested spacing these cards.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Looks like a Silverstone PSU...It must be the 1200w or 1500w model because that rig will draw more power than a village in Haiti
Joe
jnanster
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by jnanster »

Does the PC have to be inside a refrigerator to operate.
I recall the old mainframe days, freezing to death in the computer lab with my stack of punch cards.
Are we returning to these day?
ga-z77-dh3 (great & cheap O/C'er from Gigabyte)
i2600k/16 gigs Kingson 1600 (OC'ed to 4.5Ghz)
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 + (lapped, smok'in deal, 38C idle, 65C loaded)
MSI GTX 660ti Power Edition
Antec 900 case (quiet)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

There is no way those cards are going to last with that spacing. Not to mention the cpu cooler won't be able to handle the heat that comes from those cards. I give the rig 3 months to live if used for F@H bigadv points and folding 3 GPU Clients. No way, no how. Just ain't going to work.