ASUS Shows off 4-way SLI on GeForce GTX 480 or do they

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: ASUS Shows off 4-way SLI on GeForce GTX 480 or do they

Post by Vectrexer »

Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

You DIY system builders out there should take not of theses images. A GTX 480 card in the last slot will present some challenges for your connector space and access planning. Give consideration to your choice of case used for the Asus Rampage III. Ends up being less room under that card than 12 piglets going after a 6 teated sow!

The molex power connector on the side could be the difference between a smooth system build, or a frustrating day going back to the store / shipper for and exchange. The same can be said for the other connectors and buttons on the bottom edge of the Asus Rampage III.

Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Unfortunately this is where the testing runs into a pothole in the road. Or in this case a sinkhole. the OS recognized all of the GTX 480 video cards. But something in the test setup would not allow a Quad-SLI selection for configuration of the video cards. What we are left with is a Dual-SLI operation even though we have the Quad-SLI cable connected. This means the last test leaves two of the four GTX 280 cards idle while the other two are used by Furmark.

I have done some checking for the the equipment used and so far it's looking like the culprit is the nVidia driver set used. i'll try to get a confirmation of this and retest later if I can.

Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

Today even more testing was done to verify which slots can be used for SLI. I can verify that Dual and Triple SLI work with any combination of PCIe slots on the Asus Rampage III Extreme motherboard.

Furmark was close enough for all tests as to count the difference irrelavant. If i were gaming i would have no problems using any configuration for SLI if there was a need to access the other PCI slot for a sound, network, or storage card. Or as needed to manage cooling requirements.
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

MemOK!
Onboard Switches: Power / Clr CMOS
USB BIOS Flashback
ROG Connect
RC Bluetooth
ProbeIt
ROG Extreme Engine Digi+
iROG
CPU LeveUp
Extreme Tweaker
Loadline Calibration
Voltiminder LED
COP EX
ASUS C.P.R.
ROG Extreme OC Kit
ASUS Fan Xpert
ASUS MyLogo3
ASUS EZ Flash 2
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
Q-Fan Plus
ROG BIOS Wallpaper
ASUS Q-Connector
ASUS Q-LED
ASUS Q-Slot
ASUS Q-DIMM
4 PCIe 2.0 X16 with CrossFireX and 3-Way SLI Technology support
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131642

4 way crossfire, 3 way sli.
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

What is that you say? Believe a little thing like a specification map? That would be like,,, believing the Earth is flat. I guess I would be the captain who ventures into the place marked on the map "There be sea monters here!".

I did see the spec listing. But thanks anyway for the pointer. We all overlook things from time to time. It's great to have another captain to steer your course back on track.

I was able to spend a little more time on Hardware.info. Long enough to kick myself into translating Dutch and realizing they have a link to the 197.55 drivers posted in plain sight.
In plain sight if you read Dutch.
Or have Dutch parents.
Or half half a brain and can stop for a second to use Google Translate. (Say! Where did my other hemisphere of mush go off to anyway? :? )

For reference the URL to their review of a Quad-SLI setup is here: http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/articles ... _480_test/

The 197.55 drivers were downloaded and installed. Tried to enable Quad-SLI once more. [-X Same result fo defaulting back to Dual-SLI. Arrgh!

So unless there is a BIOS update for the Asus Rampage III Extreme enabling Quad-SLI I think I am now stuck for going any further.
(Does some lucky sailor out there have a treasure map to an experimental Rampage III BIOS supporting 4-way SLI?)

I could also make an attempt to replicate the work Hardware.info did with an available eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI (E762) motherboard. But then I ask myself "Why go where I know there are no monsters?".

(Unless of course if :prayer: eVGA were to loan me a motherboard for testing. Even an adventuresome captain can hardly refuse free passage in these stormy times.)
Last edited by Vectrexer on Tue May 11, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

When its pulling 1200watts what is the AMP draw?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Vectrexer
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Vectrexer »

bubba wrote:When its pulling 1200watts what is the AMP draw?

About 10.5 Amps
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Thats what I was thinking when I seen that it was almost 3 amps at idle.

Imagine some of these at a LAN popping breakers left and right.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
keetper
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by keetper »

Vectrexer wrote:What is that you say? Believe a little thing like a specification map? That would be like,,, believing the Earth is flat. I guess I would be the captain who ventures into the place marked on the map "There be sea monters here!".

I did see the spec listing. But thanks anyway for the pointer. We all overlook things from time to time. It's great to have another captain to steer your course back on track.

I was able to spend a little more time on Hardware.info. Long enough to kick myself into translating Dutch and realizing they have a link to the 197.55 drivers posted in plain sight.
In plain sight if you read Dutch.
Or have Dutch parents.
Or half half a brain and can stop for a second to use Google Translate. (Say! Where did my other hemisphere of mush go off to anyway? :? )

For reference the URL to their review of a Quad-SLI setup is here: http://www.hardware.info/nl-NL/articles ... _480_test/

The 197.55 drivers were downloaded and installed. Tried to enable Quad-SLI once more. [-X Same result fo defaulting back to Dual-SLI. Arrgh!

So unless there is a BIOS update for the Asus Rampage III Extreme enabling Quad-SLI I think I am now stuck for going any further.
(Does some lucky sailor out there have a treasure map to an experimental Rampage III BIOS supporting 4-way SLI?)

I could also make an attempt to replicate the work Hardware.info did with an available eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI (E762) motherboard. But then I ask myself "Why go where I know there are no monsters?".

(Unless of course if :prayer: eVGA were to loan me a motherboard for testing. Even an adventuresome captain can hardly refuse free passage in these stormy times.)
Nice review. I'd say i haven't expected Quad-SLI setup is like that.
Last edited by keetper on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.