nVidia Drivers - Out of Control

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

nVidia Drivers - Out of Control

Post by Major_A »

I've been playing a game the last few days that keeps Blue Screening my PC with nVIdia related errors. I went to download the latest WHQL drivers off of their site and the package is 132MB! I remember when I bought my first "real" video card, an ATi 7200. The entire driver package was roughly 10MB. I know that nVidia drivers are bundled with all their bull**** but it's still ridiculous. I don't want Stereoscopic drivers, PhysX API, other bloatware in my driver packages. To a certain extent ATi does this with the rolling adverts in the install and the automatic checking of LotR demo installer. Get your crap together and have individual installs.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: nVidia Drivers - Out of Control

Post by vbironchef »

Don't forget about all that 3D stuff. I have a 3D tv that runs 2D 99.99% of the time.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Last 3D movie I remember seeing was Amityville Horror 3D. That should tell you something. I personally don't think that watching a movie in 3D wouldn't add anything for me. Guess I'll find out once my parents get their 3D TV.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Last time I played with Nvidia was with their multi monitor set up on 2 470's. it was fast I give you that, but YIKES was it a complete nightmare to get Nvidia to register my full true resolution of 5760x1080 and not 5040x1050, which we all know a 1680x1050 res looks like crap on a 1920 x 1080 LCD monitor, because of their "3D" support.......
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

what drivers are you downloading? the i downloaded the latest for my card last week and it was about 72 MB

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Major_A wrote:Last 3D movie I remember seeing was Amityville Horror 3D. That should tell you something. I personally don't think that watching a movie in 3D wouldn't add anything for me. Guess I'll find out once my parents get their 3D TV.
Tell them to wait. The next gen 3D TV's are coming out or are just starting to that don't require shutter glasses but special polarized glasses instead. I saw some at the LG press conference at CES and the difference is substantial. Plus, you can wear the glasses as sunglasses!
Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'll pass the info along, that's all I can do. My stepdad is like me when it comes to tech, he wants it now and the box should already be open with the item in his hands.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Major_A wrote:I've been playing a game the last few days that keeps Blue Screening my PC with nVIdia related errors. I went to download the latest WHQL drivers off of their site and the package is 132MB! I remember when I bought my first "real" video card, an ATi 7200. The entire driver package was roughly 10MB. I know that nVidia drivers are bundled with all their bull**** but it's still ridiculous. I don't want Stereoscopic drivers, PhysX API, other bloatware in my driver packages. To a certain extent ATi does this with the rolling adverts in the install and the automatic checking of LotR demo installer. Get your crap together and have individual installs.
Most people want one install, so NVIDIA was happy when they rolled it all into one download. With broadband the driver size really isn't an issue.

Driver Sizes:
NVIDIA - Forceware 266.66 WHQL = 132 MB
AMD - Catalyst 11.1 WHQL = 92 MB
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

As long as I have the option to select which items to install I'm ok with the size. Earlier versions didnt give you that option.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It's an issue when my ISP is acting flaky and the download takes 20 minutes or more.
pwcmed wrote:As long as I have the option to select which items to install I'm ok with the size. Earlier versions didnt give you that option.
Why even now I'll manually extract the files before I install anything. From there I can delete packages I don't want and the option is no longer available in the install.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

FZ1 wrote:
Major_A wrote:Last 3D movie I remember seeing was Amityville Horror 3D. That should tell you something. I personally don't think that watching a movie in 3D wouldn't add anything for me. Guess I'll find out once my parents get their 3D TV.
Tell them to wait. The next gen 3D TV's are coming out or are just starting to that don't require shutter glasses but special polarized glasses instead. I saw some at the LG press conference at CES and the difference is substantial. Plus, you can wear the glasses as sunglasses!
I talked to him earlier and he told me that he already knew this. I don't know if that is going to deter him or not. Thanks for passing the info along.