buy GTX 570 (2 for SLI and WC) now?

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

buy GTX 570 (2 for SLI and WC) now?

Post by Calamar »

I want to change my "old" gtx 295 (wc) by a couple of 570 or 580, also wc. I probably change again the card before I change my display so DP is not important to me.

I've been following nvidias roadmap and it looks like they've already started their kepler production (may I cite xbitlabs?)
My problem is as follows:
it looks like they'll start selling the lowest end gpus first and the highest later (they usually did the contrary) so hi-end kepler gpus are not expected until q4-2012 or q1-2013.
So it is a good time to buy a GTX 570 SLI? I've got my eye spotted on a couple evga gtx570 superclocked (reference pcb) 1260mb. Should I go for the hd-2,5GB versions (single monitor 1920x1200)? Or just wait. I want them wc, because of noise and some extra OC.

My original idea was to buy them tomorrow with the water blocks and have all running before monday, but that kepler roadmap stuff steeped me back, its a 350x2+200€ operation :/ at least is what it costs in spain a couple of evgas and their blocks.
Last edited by Calamar on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
hark
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: buy GTX 570 now?

Post by hark »

The GTX 295 is still an awesome card. I suggest waiting for the high end Kepler since they should provide a major boost in performance. Are there any applications where you have to have more performance right now? My suggestion is not to upgrade unless necessary, otherwise you end up spending a lot of money for little benefit.
Cassius
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Cassius »

If you can wait, then wait.
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

I'll wait. I'm a little bit tired of some of the gtx295 issues, specially driver hangs and resets which leads to change of P state (most 295 owners know what I'm talking about). However runs like a single 570 without DX11 support.

I'll see what those new ATI cards can do (7xxx series), but the fact is I hate ATI drivers :toimonster:. Also all review I've see show much better scaling on SLI than Crossfire.
I'm so used to a profile for each game, and I love so much nvidia inspector :prayer:. New cata drivers will be able to have a profile for each game, but who knows how long it will take to make that feature work properly.
Actually I don't understand why people have chosen ATI so far. When people buy "expensive"/almost-top-of-the-line gaming cards like the 570 or 6970 for a few € you've got some more horse power with ATI, but rename exes to make AA work if you're lucky, change graphic parameters in CCC every time you switch a game is so sad. Also hav to wait a month or more after a game release to make crossfire work... I think doesn't worth it. With inspector/nvidia drivers you can always force some of the parameters and do some try and error, make SLI, ambient occlusion, AA, etc. work out of the box before a proper profile is released.

What you guys think about latest 6xxx and new 7xxx series?