NVIDIA Introduces the GeForce 6600 GPU

Forum for all the nVidia video cards from the past, present and future!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

NVIDIA Introduces the GeForce 6600 GPU

Post by Apoptosis »

The other day down here in Texas Nvidia released the GeForce 6600 series card. Having seen these cards in action I admit that being priced at $149 & $199 they pretty much own the budget market. They have 8-piplines compared to the 4-pipelines that ATI is using on their mainsream card, the x600xt. Nvidia claims almost 3 times the performance out of their card at about the same price point.

Performance Specs:
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth 16.0 GB/sec.
Fill Rate 4.0 billion texels/sec.
Vertices per Second 375 million
Memory Data Rate 1000 MHz
Pixels per Clock (peak) 8
RAMDACs 400 MHz
QUAKECON 2004—GRAPEVINE, TX—AUGUST 12, 2004—NVIDIA Corporation (Nasdaq: NVDA), the worldwide leader in visual processing solutions, today introduced the GeForce™ 6600 GT and GeForce 6600, the latest additions to its GeForce 6 Series of graphics processing units (GPUs). These new products bring the feature set of NVIDIA’s flagship GeForce 6800 GPU, including support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 and NVIDIA’s revolutionary UltraShadow II technology, to the mainstream market. The GeForce 6600 GT rips through DOOM 3™ at a stunning 42 frames per second at high quality, high-resolution (1600x1200x32) settings .

“NVIDIA's latest generation of chipsets gives exceptional performance and feature gains across the entire line, from the consumer cards to the specialty cards. I use a GeForce 6800 class card in my primary workstation, which is the best endorsement I can give,” said John Carmack, president and technical director of id Software.”

The GeForce 6600 GPUs will be featured in live demonstrations starting today at QuakeCon, which is being held August 12-15 at the Gaylord Texan Resort and Convention Center in Grapevine, Texas.

“Critics have called the GeForce 6 architecture the most advanced in the industry, and GeForce 6600 GPUs mean the cost of that bleeding-edge graphics technology just got cut in half for gamers,” said Dan Vivoli executive vice president of marketing for NVIDIA. “DOOM 3, the most anticipated game of the year, and the mind blowing price/performance ratio of GeForce 6600 GPUs—that is what gamers’ dreams are made of.”

As an extension of the award-winning GeForce 6 Series, these two new graphics processors are the first mainstream GPUs to support Microsoft DirectX 9.0 Shader Model 3.0, and a superscalar architecture for unprecedented performance. GeForce 6600 GPUs also feature a dedicated on-chip video processor that brings consumer electronics-quality video to the personal computer. In addition, the GeForce 6600 GT brings the innovative NVIDIA® SLI™ multi-GPU technology to the mainstream market, which could enable millions of users to experience the power of two GPUs in their system.

Backed by the NVIDIA ForceWare™ software suite and Unified Driver Architecture (UDA), the GeForce 6600 GPUs ensure industry-renowned compatibility and reliability for a great user experience.

The newest additions to the GeForce 6 Series of GPUs include:

The GeForce 6600 GT—The NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT has an eight pipe superscalar design, supports 128MB of GDDR3 graphics memory, includes NVIDIA SLI multi-GPU technology, and has a suggested street price of $199.

The GeForce 6600—The GeForce 6600 GPU also has an eight pipe superscalar design and supports 128MB of DDR graphics memory.
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

so how would this compare to the ati 9800pro? (128mb/256bit)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

won't know till cards are being benchmarked... I'd say a bit faster since it's 3 times faster than the x600xt and I know the 9800PRO is not 3 times faster than the ATI x600XT.