Laptop Video Cards

A place to talk about all things mobile
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Laptop Video Cards

Post by Bun-Bun »

Ok so whats the scoop with upgradibility with laptop video cards?
I have a Asus Z71v with a 6600 Go and to my knowledge I can just take it out and put in a different one. But in reading other threads there seems to be different sizes and form factors. Like I was reading that the 6800 Go won't fit in my chassis cause its so much bigger then the 6600 Go when the 6600 Go shown in the thread looks bigger then mine...
Basically I guess what im asking is where can I find information on MXM cards and where can I purchase them and what are the chances of the newer 7800 Go's fitting in my chassis?
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Here is a good quote for you from Master himself! :)
Apoptosis wrote:The ASUS Z71A does not have the slot at all mainboard. Also they have 3 sizes of MXM cards, so a 6800 Go won't fit in the place of the 6600 Go.

MXM-1 - 6200 Go
MXM-2 - 6600 Go
MXM-3 - 6800 Go

In the above picture the 6800 Go is on the right and the 6600 Go is on next to it on the left. See the size difference? Notebook chassis are one or the other -- not both.
Now that you've read it, I highly doubt a 7800 will fit your chassis as I'm sure it's huge compared to the 6600 that you have.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bun-Bun »

Ive seen this in another thread. That 6600 Go does not match mine, mine is smaller then that one. So I though maybe theres smaller versions you can get cause my has the RAM on chip with the GPU as where the one shown has the memory seperate from the chip. And I still would like to know where to buy the MXM cards and what is the potential of a better card coming out for the Z71v.