Installing Network Card Adapter

A place to talk about all things mobile
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Installing Network Card Adapter

Post by Bun-Bun »

Hi I have a Asus Z71v and the Tri mode Intel Pro wireless mini pci card. Now I am getting bad signal reception and I am wondering if that is because the attenae wires are backwards. How do I know which wire goes to whihc? I beleive I have black to Aux and white to main right now. Is that correct? Does it matter? Thanks.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I think you may have them backwards. I'm going by rule of thumb though, assuming black is hot, main, or similar. Try it, shouldn't hurt I wouldn't believe. One thing though, has it always had bad reception, or has it just happened?
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

white is usually like red the positive "hot" wire. in an antenna it does matter, i dont know how that particualr one is setup, if you could show pics or something. but your positive will be your main lead into the antenna and what really carries the signal and the negative/ground in a carrier signal. they both need each other to work properly.

like i said, post pics and i will try and help ya out!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I honestly don't think it matters which way the wires are hooked up. I've done both way and my wireless works fine.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

I guess the next question is this: do you have your AP set up right? also, don't forget there are some wireless devices that can cause interference with the signal, so if you've recently gotten any new wireless device then that could be trying to run on the same band as the NIC, and that could cause the problem. Lots of things really, not to mention a bad NIC.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

When I built my whitebox, I copied the way Nate did in his original series of articles and the signal is great!... see pics below.

Note Main and Aux ports:

Note wire colors and which ports they are connected to:
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bun-Bun »

This problem wasn't here with my M6Bne laptop with its dual mode Intel b/g card. The laptop is 4 feet away from Wireless Router so I don't think anything is interfereing with the signal. I have to study right now but once my midterms are over I can take pics and try different combinations.
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bun-Bun »

mistake on my part I had black to mina and white to aux.
After a little trial and error and moving the laptop around I foudn the best signal with white to main and black to aux. Now i have excellent signal all the time to my router but the speed keeps dropping from 54 to 24 mbps. I'm thinking it's just settings so im going to go play with adapter and AP settings. Any input appreciated :D
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

what kind of router was it again?? Also usually default setting are what are the optimal settings, but one thing you can try is chaning the channel. But when you do that you can run into other problems: i.e. card wont support all channels. I know in the U.S. its ch.11 that is the standard. If anything else it may be a cheasy wireless router.

I know my g/f dad has an older linksys router and i could be in the same small room it was in and the signal would flucuate between 11mbps and 54mbps. Let us know how it goes. (i am in college too, luckly i have yet to have a mid term, my teachers just act like it is another test and still dont carry the weight as a mid-term.)