Dell D/Port replicator - anyone get the network card to work

A place to talk about all things mobile
Drizzt81
Legit User
Legit User

Dell D/Port replicator - anyone get the network card to work

Post by Drizzt81 »

Hi,

I have a Dell D610 notebook and the D/Port `advanced' port replicator. When I use my wired lan connection that is attached to the laptop, it works fine. The D/Port comes with a RJ45 port that ought to be usable when docked. When docking my Laptop, however, the internal wired network card gets disabled and no other wired connection is added.

I have tried using the Device Manager and the Network Connections shortcut to reenable my onboard card, but that does not work. Anyone have any idea how I can get at least ONE network card to work?
edwinroux
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Dell D/Port replicator - anyone get the network card to work

Post by edwinroux »

Hi,
I have 2 Dell D620's. One is 2 months older. Both are 2ghz. The one power supply packed up and I have to change the power supply from one to the other. On the newer laptop this message appeared, "Internal network card is inactive to save battery power." On the other nothing shows up. When I insert the power cable again into the new one it says "Internal network card is active." The answers I found speaks of servers and networking. You are brought under the impression that the internal network card has to do with normal networking. I unplugged the new one got the message to save battery power and the network to my other laptop is still working as well as surfing the internet. I opened up the broken power supply and there are 3 wires leading to a PC board. One is earth, then Volts, to power up the battery, and a third wire that says, DATA. Inside are transistors, 2 transformers, resistors and something that looks like a rolled up copper wire. Remember you computer tells you when a network connection gets broken. Unplug your power supply and see if it says your internal network card is disabled then try and surf the internet through a network gateway not the modem. If you can still surf the net then the card that was disabled has nothing to do with normal networking. It's speaks for itself. It says, "Internal Network Card" It is a network link that transmit data to your power supply. The question you should ask is why? That is if all other internet and network functions is working properly when you are on battery power.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

HUH?

Anyway.....is the internal network card set to always on in the power management settings? the port replicator should just pass through the network connection.
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

If the OP was a little confused by edwinroux's post, i think he is basically saying to check that your laptop is getting power while it is in the docking station.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Baratak
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Baratak »

My fix

Boot up undocked.

Delete the docked hardware profile (system, hardware, hardware profiles)

Reboot docked.