Notebooks (Read newest post. Found a diff one, need opinins)

A place to talk about all things mobile
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Notebooks (Read newest post. Found a diff one, need opinins)

Post by NAiLs »

Read this post (down below): http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... =6892#6892

I couldn't find a proper place to post this *wink* *wink* so I'll post it here.

I've got a buddy who is selling his HP ze4530us Notebook. 2.4 Celeron, 512MB of PC2100 DDR, Integrated Video (Website says Video graphics: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 4X AGP and 3D architecture - 64 MB DDR SDRAM (shared)).

He wants to sell it for $600. Any ideas if this is a decent notebook? I mainly want to get it to use for schooling, maybe minimal gaming, and possibly use it as a scan tool for my car. Obviously it isn't a top end notebook, so it won't handle the better games out there. I want a notebook that will last. Not buy a 1.x GHz system that will be so outdated in a couple years. Atleast this 2.4 should last longer than that! :P

Any ideas?

-Brian
Last edited by NAiLs on Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

a notebook with an AGP slot? :rolleyes:
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

You got me man... I know NOTHING about notebooks! :P Want to learn. I only know PC's!

I assumed since it said it had AGP 4x (Even though friend said it had integrated video, but open slot) it had an AGP slot? :)
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Eh, he says he believes it's a 9000 Mobile GPU. He's gotta be mistaken on the open slot. Hence what you told me in our conversation, Nate! :P

GG to integrated video!
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

for $600, I would get a brand new Dell budget laptop...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/product ... l=en&s=dhs
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I did forget to mention it has a 30GB HDD and a CD-RW / DVD+/-RW Drive. So that's almost saving $150 on the Dell right there.

I know this notebook is fairly new. He bought it last Christmas at Best Buy. He doesn't need it now b/c Best Buy is giving, yes, giving him a brand new top of the line gaming laptop. He needs a high end one for whatever he does at BB. I sure wish I had a Best Buy here. I'd get a job there definitely! Closest one is an hour away. :?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

I say go for it worst case senerio if you dont like it you sell it for what you paid for it.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

infinitevalence wrote:I say go for it worst case senerio if you dont like it you sell it for what you paid for it.
Very true! :)
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Not trying to promote dell or anything... just want to make sure you read the specs on that cheapo dell laptop... comes with 30gb hdd and a cdburner/dvd rom combo drive...

So I don't know where you got that $150 from... you just can't burn dvds but that's not a $150 difference.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Illuminati wrote:Not trying to promote dell or anything... just want to make sure you read the specs on that cheapo dell laptop... comes with 30gb hdd and a cdburner/dvd rom combo drive...

So I don't know where you got that $150 from... you just can't burn dvds but that's not a $150 difference.
I was looking at the options on the $679 or whatever laptop, it said the CD/DVD burner was a $150 option. The $599 one doesn't even offer an option for a different optical drive.

I do hate when they list such like this:
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Sonic RecordNow [add $37 or $1/month]
I'm getting at a glance that it doesn't write DVD's. And I'm still assuming it doesn't.

But this is the one I was looking at:
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability [add $149 or $4/month]
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I might pass up my friends, 'cause I think I found one that's faaar better for only a little more on some message forums I post on. 16,000+ users and he has been a member for a year.

P4 2.8
60GB HDD
64MB Mobility 9700
Internal wi-fi card
15.4" screen
dvd +/- rw

He never mentioned RAM, but I'll ask him that tonight. He's asking $950 (obo), so I'm gonna shoot a bit lower and see if he'll budge.

Here is the warranty info too:
Description Provider Start Date End Date Days Left

Initial Next Business Day BSC 8/20/2004 8/20/2005 271
Extended BSC 8/20/2005 8/19/2008 1095
Complete Care DELL 8/20/2004 8/19/2008 1366

So, much better for only a little more? Give me your thoughts please! :)
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Well, I bought the one above this post. Has 512MB of PC3200 DDR.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Thats cool, i have to say i only buy notebooks when its a rediculous deal, the last two i got were a 1ghz duron hp for $100 and a 750 p3 gateway for $150. I hope you enjoy it sounds like a decent computer.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I'm curious, do you know if you can upgrade the CPU if you want in a notebook? I'm assuming since it's a P4, I'd be able to upgrade to the highest frequency w/ the same FSB as the current one, no? I'm not concerned much, it is a 2.8GHz CPU afterall.

I thought this was an awesome deal as I see the same model going for $1,100+ on EBay. I got it for $925 shipped to my door. Could have gone $900 if I paid in cash, check, or money order. But since I used a credit card on Paypal, I added 3% for fees. The guy is trustworthy too as he had over 1,800 positive transactions on Paypal! :P
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

there is very little chance that you can, i got lucky with the gateway and it has a upgradable soket for the mobile p3. Its worth taking a look though if you feel like pulling apart your book.