When is intel going to put out a new mobile chip

A place to talk about all things mobile
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

When is intel going to put out a new mobile chip

Post by vbironchef »

I want to buy a macbook pro. I want to wait for new op. system. Apple will give me 100 off for old system. My question is, do you think intel will release a new mobile proc. at the same time as the new op system comes out?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: When is intel going to put out a new mobile chip

Post by Apoptosis »

From Intel a couple days ago.... Answers your question nicely i think...

Santa Rosa Refresh - In January 2008, Intel will launch "Santa Rosa Refresh," an update to Intel(R) Centrino(R) processor technology that includes the next generation 45nm high-k mobile processor (codenamed Penryn) and improved graphics capabilities. With the Penryn mobile processor, Santa Rosa Refresh-based notebooks receive enhanced performance and battery life features. Graphics improvement for Santa Rosa Refresh focuses on unlocking advanced graphics technologies for an enhanced visual experience, especially with DirectX 10-based applications. Santa Rosa Refresh notebook PCs also contain the Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express chipset family, Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N network connection, Intel(R) 82566MM and 82566MC Gigabit Network Connection, and optional Intel(R) Turbo memory.
So new Apple notebooks will be out in January for sure.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Thank you very much. I thought santa rosa was already out. I will wait til Jan.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

It is, but our chips are 65nm. The notebook in my sig is a Santa Rosa Platform
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Okay then, what would you do. Buy now or wait? This is going to be my first laptop. :)
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

I'd wait, its a decent platform wide upgrade, and it isn't that far away.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

ok then, I wait. How much faster are we taking about. Will they have quad core by then? What's the +&- of waiting? Maybe we should have a pole of +&-.? We will always have faster chips in the future. When to say when?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Yeah, you could be waiting till forever, I nearly said that in my other post :P
Intel Penryn architecture CPUs are expected to be released in Q4 on a 45nm process. Penryn is an update to the Core 2 architecture, designed for both mobile and desktop CPUs. Enhancements to the Penryn architecture include larger L2 caches (6MB for dual-core CPUs and 12MB for quad-core), faster division operations (twice the speed), improved cache management, enhanced power management including a C6 'Deep Power Down' state, support for up to a 1600Mhz PSB, Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration technology, and SSE4 support with an enhanced SSE engine. Intel's Enhanced Dynamic Acceleration technology allows heavily utilised cores to increase their clock speed whilst staying within a specified thermal and power envelope. SSE4 introduces 50 new instructions to the core for streaming operations, enhancing the performance of media and high performance computing applications.

Intel's performane metrics suggest roughly a 20% increase in gaming performance (3.2Ghz Penryn vs 2.93Ghz Core 2) and up to 40% with codecs that utilise SSE4. Virtual machine transition performance is also improved by 25-75%.
Not sure on how much them being mobile will decrease the above estimated performance.

For all the good things about waiting, re-read the quote nate mentioned.

For negatives... You'll have to wait longer, erm, the new models might be more expensive? (Though normally they tend to drop them in the same price brackets and drop the price of the old stuff), and you'll have to wait longer.

I can't really think of anything majorly bad with waiting.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Wait in a laptop, cooler, faster and more cache is always a good thing
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

vbironchef wrote:ok then, I wait. How much faster are we taking about. Will they have quad core by then? What's the +&- of waiting? Maybe we should have a pole of +&-.? We will always have faster chips in the future. When to say when?
We will always have faster processors and technology coming out... I already posted the info on the Santa Rosa Refresh that is coming out in Jan 2008, but around then you'll start hearing about the Montevina platform. Of course this is Further on down the road, but the Montevina platform, which will also be based on the 45nm Penryn processor, adds support for DDR3 memory, offers integrated HD-DVD/Blu-ray support, and integrated WiMAX in addition to the standard WiFi.

Something is always down the road... There is stuff beyond Montevina, but it's under strict NDA, so I'll keep my mouth shut as stuff that far our changes too much to plan around anyway.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Nate, you know too much for your own good...we may have to form a "coalition of willing" forum members to come and "interrogate" you for information... :lol: joking of course.

Anyway, I can and will wait for Penryn to be released before buying a new lappy (for one I got some more saving up to do... :-P ). The real quetion is what brand to go with...ah thats a different question for a different day but yeah, 3 mth is not too long to wait (unless you HAVE to have a new laptop).
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

I am going to wait. Just thought I could get another folding smp rig going. Cash is in the bank for a new laptop and a new desktop that I can't wait to build. My laptop will be a apple macbook pro. Just waiting for 45nm.