Is netbook good for programming?

A place to talk about all things mobile
Taepdong1101
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Is netbook good for programming?

Post by Taepdong1101 »

Hi,
I am planning to get a HP Mini 1000TU as I saw a good deal and its very portable. But I hear its mainly good for browsing the net and doing word processing. Should I choose to install IDE like Netbeans and Eclipse and powerful anti-viruses like BitDefender any chance it'll start to hog up the speed and power and become very sluggish quickly?
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is netbook good for programming?

Post by DMB2000uk »

If it's a single core atom machine then yes it will.

You might be able to get away with it if it is a dual core atom, and has plenty of RAM.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Taepdong1101 wrote:Hi,
I am planning to get a HP Mini 1000TU as I saw a good deal and its very portable. But I hear its mainly good for browsing the net and doing word processing. Should I choose to install IDE like Netbeans and Eclipse and powerful anti-viruses like BitDefender any chance it'll start to hog up the speed and power and become very sluggish quickly?

Neither a dual or single core atom will not be good for programming. Go for a normal dual core. Just get a 13 inch laptop if you want portability with at least 2GB of Ram.
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

Actually, I use Visual Studio 2008 on my Eee and performance isn't too bad. I'd imagine Netbeans shouldn't be any worse. Screen size/resolution is a bit small for this purpose though
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

define programming, the type of stuff I do, it maxes a quad out easily. So I guess it depends what you are doing