Palm Pre vs Iphone

A place to talk about all things mobile
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Palm Pre vs Iphone

Post by bigblockmatt »

I have been looking at getting a "smart" phone for some time now. i have been holding off because i have been able to access my home comp. from work via logmein.com. well, my work finally blocked the site so i can no longer use that to access gmail, facebook, legit reviews, etc. so now i would like to get something that i can view all that stuff on the go.

My usages: I would be a pretty 'typical' user. email, texting (about 600 per month), web browsing, music listening, check sports scores, gps/maps, maybe some video watching. one thing i would like to be able to do is download a file (pdf) and be able to upload to website/email it all from the phone. reason being, i sell tickets on stubhub and send them via PDF. if i could do that on the phone, it would be really nice.

I don't talk on the phone much at all - averaging 250 minutes/month.

I have been looking at the palm pre as an option. i like the full keyboard part of it a lot. I have never used one in person so i dont really know how well it does. a couple buddies have an iphone so i know how that works.

plans wise, it looks like sprint would be cheaper.
Cingular:
Nation 450 w/Rollover® Minutes $39.99
Features: Data Plan for iPhone $30.00
iPhone Text Messaging 1500 $15.00
Total 85.00

Sprint
Everything 450 minutes $ 69.00
here is sprints everything data: Unlimited data: Web surfing, email, BlackBerry Internet Services (BIS), GPS Navigation, Music Premier, TV Premier, NFL Mobile Live, NASCAR Sprint Cup MobileSM, Unlimited Direct Connect: Direct Connect and Group Connect (for capable phones), Unlimited messaging: Text, pictures and video, Talk: Unlimited mobile to mobile, night calling and weekends starting at 7 p.m., nationwide long distance and no roaming charges

What you guys think? would i be better off going for a cheaper blackberry? is there something else i am missing?

Thanks as always for looking/listening/responding!!

Matt
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Palm Pre vs Iphone

Post by bigblockmatt »

no love?
comp specs- too lazy to make a cool looking sig... MB:GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P, AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition 2.8Ghz, CORSAIR TW3X4G1333C9DHX 4GB PC3-10666, ASUS Radeon HD 4870 512MB, SB audigy gamer, WESTERN DIGITAL Caviar Black 500GB, antec P180 case (extra 120mm fan and 80mm fan), Corsair HX Series 620W: ASSEMBLED June 2009
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

As much as I hate to turn anyone off to my company I think in this case Sprint has the better offering price wise. I'd be interested to know if their "Everything" plan includes tethering as that would easily push them over the top in my book as AT&T hates to give that away for free.

Here's what I've never understood. I use a Cingular 8525/HTC Hermes Windows SmartPhone. In order for me to have an internet plan on it it's $45 a month. If I get an iPhone I can knock that down to $30.00 a month. If I get a cheap phone like the Samsung Impression that drops even further to $20 a month or $30 for unlimited data AND text. So basically if I get internet on my current phone not only is it slower it's MORE EXPENSIVE than any of the alternatives. Yeah, that makes sense. :roll:

I'm in much the same boat as you. I really wanted a phone with a keyboard that sync's to Outlook for my contacts and calender. As I posted earlier I just can't seem to get away from either needing a Windows Smartphone where I'm going to get raped on a data plan or going to a strictly touchscreen based phone like the iPhone. Personally, given the choice, I'd probably go with the Sprint deal if I were you. Cheaper, real keyboard, sync's to Outlook. Check into that tethering thing and see if they support that. If they do, get it and don't look back.
hnzw_rui
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by hnzw_rui »

I would suggest going to a store so you can get a hands-on experience.

If I had a choice of service providers, I probably would have gone for the Pre myself. Unfortunately, everyone in my family has AT&T and that's not likely to change soon so I'm kinda forced to use AT&T.
File Server/Media Encoder/PVR PC
Antec P182 / Corsair 550VX / Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R / Core 2 Duo E7200 @ 2.53 / Wintec AMPX 2x2GB DDR2 800 / Sapphire 100233L Radeon HD 3450 / WD Caviar SE16 750GB x3 / WD Caviar GP 750GB / Sony NEC Optiarc AD-7190A x2 / XP Pro SP2

unRAID Server
Antec 300 / Corsair 520HX / Abit AB9 Pro / Celeron 430 @ 1.80 / Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB DDR2 667 / ATI Rage XL / Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB x9 / unRAID 4.3.3
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

I picked up a Pre today. so far so good. just getting all the settings to how i like them. im not used to a "central email" type thing (always used to going directly to gmail and yahoo.) that will have to get used to.
bigblockmatt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by bigblockmatt »

so i've been using the pre for over a week now. i really like it a lot. the touch screen is great, the key board is small but very nice. it doesnt feel cheaply built like i have read some places because of the slide keyboard part. the camera is good (better than the iphone imho). the only part i dont like are just settings stuff like i dont feel i have enough options with sounds and rings and alerts. but i think that will come in time since it is still pretty new. they are suppose to come out with an update soon that is suppose to make some good changes performance wise. WE SHALL SEE....

in the end, i really like the phone and would recommend it to anyone looking to get a smart phone.
ckthecerealkiller
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by ckthecerealkiller »

Skippman wrote: I'd be interested to know if their "Everything" plan includes tethering

I'm in much the same boat as you. I really wanted a phone with a keyboard that sync's to Outlook for my contacts and calender.
Just so you know, I have a BB with sprint and their unltd 450 plan, just like matt, and I love it. Exchange support, tethering is 100% FREE with all data plans, and the network where I am is very solid. Network is only beaten by Verizon but Sprint is way cheaper.

I do have a complaint, BB browsers aren't something to get excited about. Still, they are OK. I have seen the PRE though and it eats my BB. Palm finally made a winner that speaks to users.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I ended up going iPhone and love it as much as I hate to admit loving an Apple product. What sold me was the ApStore and Pandora on my phone. Who cares how much storage I have if I've got Pandora streaming music. I get unlimited internet anyway.

The ApStore is the one thing Apple has that crushes Windows Mobile. I remember never being able to find an application for my Smartphones and always having problems installing them. The ApStore fixes all of that.
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Windows Mobile is garbage - anything beats it - like, rocks, bricks, trees, grass, anything really.

Maybe some of you guys have had better luck with it, but I get a bad taste in my mouth even thinking about it. Head and ears turn red and I want to smash stuff...bad...bad...

Personally I'm waiting for an Android phone that grabs me. Right now just doing the crackberry.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell