A place to talk about all things mobile
AshenWraith
Legit User
Legit User

***UPADATE - $4600 PLZ HELP- 2 BUILD LAPTOP

Post by AshenWraith »

UPADATE
====================

Thank you all very much for all of your helpful information.

Alright, here is the type of laptop I want to build:

http://secure.hypersonic-pc.com/scripts ... viator_FX7

I need to know where to get the chassis and motherboard...

Also, it would be nice if there was an AMD motherboard with 4 instead of 2 RAM slots that supported the same hardware.

At the moment, I can't find jack other than asus Z71's all over the place...

IS IT EVEN POSSIBLE TO GET PARTS FOR THIS ONLINE OR DO I HAVE BUY A PREBUILT ONE?
Last edited by AshenWraith on Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kronchev
Legit User
Legit User

Post by kronchev »

um..wow...youre really probably better off with a desktop, anything with those specs will be a) huge and b) have almost no battery life
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, I know how I can help: kick 2K my way to help me finish my desktop, and get a fairly high-end Pentium M setup in an Asus Z71a chassis with 1 GB DDR, amongst other goodies, and we can all be happy, lol :rolleyes: [-o< :drool:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

$4600? you can put together 2 high end laptops from that...
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Like I said, kick 2 grand to me and use the other 2000 for the lappie, lol (gotta have 600 for that rare "booze fest", lol).
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

or just buying an alienware or voodoopc. Most whitebooks just arnt that specialized.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Are you looking to build it yourself or wanting to order one pre-built?

If you are looking for pre-built I just put a list of all the Geforce 7800 GTX Go notebooks here: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=2910

For example the Falcon Northwest DR 6800 notebook will run you $4,478.47 With an Intel 650 processor, 2GB memory, a Geforce 7800 GO, and a 60GB 7,200RPM hard drive.
AshenWraith
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AshenWraith »

lol, well they said they made a comparative laptop to the voodoopc one in their article for half price... the laptop I thought about getting at voodoopc was about $6100, so I figure if I could get about half that price I could afford it.

Alienware doesn't offer a 7800 vid card yet and they don't have dual core processors so i'm not sure if i want to go with them yet.

As for battery life, i heard that they could stick more internal batteries in your computer, but a few hours would be pretty good... supposedly amd processors are good at conserving processing so who knows

lol and as for weight, I don't care as long as it all fits in the chassis, i lift weights and i just want something i can take around with everything in it.

i'll check out your links on 7800, but i'm interested in building because it seems pretty cheap.
AshenWraith
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AshenWraith »

oh, btw i need at least 2gb of ram because i have 1 gb of RAM at work and it's a bit slow loadaing high quality poster sized images in photoshop...and i want to do some more of that for personal use...:p

I'd prefer 3gb of ram like the alienware offers cuz it's only a $100 more to get an extra gb of ram under their area-51 model setup.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Hypersonic's Aviator EX7 with an Intel 660, a 7800 Go, a 100GB hard drive and 4GB of system memory is priced at $3,606.00 with the secondary spare battery.
AshenWraith
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AshenWraith »

Wow, that hypersonic aviator is pretty cool. Pumping it up to 4gb of RAM, 3.6 ghz w/2mb L2 cache, RAID 0 with 2 7200 100 gig HDs, and a 7800 vid card and i'm at $4,593 which is right around what i wanted to spend.

one thing i am curious about though... does anyone happen to know what the difference between WSXGA and WUXGA is? which is better...

EDIT: okay i get what wsxga and wuxga is... i'm just curious what's with all this ClearView and VividView screen technology is... i guess it's sort of the same thing from different companies?

it also mentions nothing about built-in speakers that i could find... does it have none?

i mean some kind of speaker on a laptop is standard i would think nowadays...

but damn... that custom laptop airbrushing looks unbelievable... if you send them art can they really reproduce it at the level as seen in their galeries for just $99?!?!?!

EDIT: I knew it was too good to be true :p I just saw now it's $250 for high quality air brushing, but yeah the high quality stuff looks good....
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

AshenWraith wrote: one thing i am curious about though... does anyone happen to know what the difference between WSXGA and WUXGA is? which is better...
this should help you a little: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2549

this site gives you all you wanted to know (and didn't want to know) about the different types of notebook screens. happy reading! :)
AshenWraith
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AshenWraith »

killswitch83 wrote:
AshenWraith wrote: one thing i am curious about though... does anyone happen to know what the difference between WSXGA and WUXGA is? which is better...
this should help you a little: http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2549

this site gives you all you wanted to know (and didn't want to know) about the different types of notebook screens. happy reading! :)
thx
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

no problem :)
AshenWraith
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AshenWraith »

hmmm... what's better?

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core Processor 1MB L2 Cache 1400 MHzFSB

with 2 1024MB Corsair PC3200 DDR400 SODIMM (3-3-3-8 latency) of RAM

or...

Intel® Pentium® 4 660 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.6GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache

with 4 1024MB Crucial PC4200 DDR2-533 SODIMM (CAS Latency 4)RAM

I mean on one side you get double the ram and double the cache, but on the other you get 2 processors and double the bus speed....

they're also about the same price too.
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

that's a no-brainer for me man....I would sub the Corsair memory used in the AMD setup for something like OCZ Platinum (2-2-2-5 @ 400MHz), just a friendly reminder that sometimes more cache gets the job done, so I would actually recommend going with the next one up, the 4400+ (has 1 MB of cache on each core, and higher frequency, but only slightly, and can OC very nicely, and thermal properties on this one is 89W, but I can't seem to find the thermal properties on the P4). Also, consider the fact that the 660 uses HT, which is logical processing, not true processing like the AMD (logical processing takes longer, whereas having two true cores like the X2 shortens processing time). Though the X2 4400+ is more expensive (410 vs. 526 on newegg.com), I personally believe it's well-worth the price difference.
AshenWraith
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AshenWraith »

For $60 more you can upgrade to a 4400 and double your cache-good call there...

What about building this stuff? I find it a bit interesting that voodoopc, alienware, and other companies seem to be offering just about the same model... so if i could find the chassis and parts it would be nice if i could just put it all together... any ideas how to go about this?
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Simple: there's an article in Legit Reviews titled: Building a Whitebox Notebook PC. This is ABSOLUTELY a complete guide to whitebox building 101. I highly recommend reading the article to learn how to build one, and also, peruse the noterbook forums to get more info on items like thermal interface materials to use, differences between the different types of notebook screens out there, which barebones systems or complete systems have the Go 7800 graphics chip, and much much more. Happy Reading, and good luck with building your Whitebox man :)
AshenWraith
Legit User
Legit User

Post by AshenWraith »

plz see Update at top

thx