Droid X On The Way!

A place to talk about all things mobile
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Droid X On The Way!

Post by DaddyRabbit »

I did a search of the forums for Droid X with mostly press releases or news from the web hits. Can't believe I'm the only forum member who has ordered the Droid X (I HATE, HATE, HATE backorders <Rabbit takes a deep, calming breath ](*,) >)

I am a long time BB Storm user and actually like it. I tried the original Droid when it came out but I am not a mechanical keyboard type on a cell (fat fingers and all) and the touch screen KB was unusable for me (fat fingers and all).

I was intrigued by the HTC Incredible but there was a SNAFU with my upgrade eligibility with VZW and by the time that was cleared up the DX was available (kinda') so I upgraded the BB. The DX should be here by the 30th with Android 2.2 in mid September I believe.

With all of the enthusiasts on the site I find it hard to believe there weren't some early adopters out there, anyone have input?

If not I'll try to give my opinions when I get it in my fat fingered hands :partyman:
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Droid X On The Way!

Post by InspectahACE »

I'd like to get the new Droid but I'm stuck on my contract for another year with my lame BB Tour. I used to like it, until I had to replace it FOUR times due to technical issues :evil:
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Actually like my Storm 1 a lot, it was between the Storm 2 and the Droid X for the upgrade. The screen and Android sold me. I don't get the "click" feel I get with the Storm but I like the screen on the DX.

I'll post up my first impressions when FedEx makes me all warm and fuzzy inside :) OK that was weird :vom:
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I just picked up my Droid X from Best Buy yesterday... so far I love it. Still have 20% battery after 10.5 hours of use... much better battery life than I feared.

I haven't had a lot of time to play with many apps, and still getting used to the overall layout of the OS... I came from an old Blackberry Curve 8330. Love 3G. ;)
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

Illuminati wrote: I haven't had a lot of time to play with many apps, and still getting used to the overall layout of the OS... I came from an old Blackberry Curve 8330. Love 3G. ;)
No apps, that's why you're battery life is so good ](*,) I ate a full charge down to 40% in a few hours but I was connecting Wi-Fi, downloading, surfing, calling, and doing stuff I would never do on a daily basis so I'm thinking battery will be at least as good as the Storm in regular use.

I'm not an excellent reviewer so I'll post some quick first impressions:

Pros

1) I thought coming from the Storm's "click" screen that I would have issues with text entry (I hated the Droid touchscreen and hated the physical keyboard on just about any phone I've used though). It took me about an hour to get this keyboard down, especially in landscape mode. Also, when I'm alone and won't look like an idiot, the voice text entry works like a charm!

2) Feels muche better in my hands than I thought. I have a plastic 2 piece on the Storm and the Droid X seems thinner, lighter, and easier to hold. Has a really nice fit even in medium sized hands.

3) One word will do it, "FAST"! Some have complained about slowness but I don't know what phone they were using before the DX! Compared to the Storm this does EVERYTHING faster (except for charge and ship after ordered).

4) Customization options and apps (this is both a pro and con for some users though). Seven home screens, access to the Android Marketplace and more apps than you can shake an accelerometer equiped phone at. I had a theme loaded on my Storm (cost $2.99) that I LOVED called "Phosporesence". It was a very minimalist theme that put everthing I needed right where I needed it. It will take me a while to get this phone configured "My Way" but I think I will have many more options to do so.

5) Call quality is IMHO better than the Storm and pretty good. Speaker is loud enough.

6) Storage is good and the ability to load apps onto the SD card is a great step forward.

Haven't fully tested the FM Radio, media player, camera or fully tested Google Navigation against VZ Navigator yet but initial impressions are good taking into account VZ is 9.99 a month.

Initial cons:

1) Hands free bluetooth support. This is one I missed and, for me working on a DoD base, is a BIG issue. I cannot use a jawbone BT headset so I must use a speaker. What's worse is that Android doesn't seem to support BT voice commands (WTF?). It will treat the BT speaker as a speaker but I still have to use the handset to dial. This is "MAJOR FAIL" in my book and needs fixed. My "old school" Storm 1 (and many other older phones) did theis perfectly. Moto needs to get on this one!

2) Still having some adjustments to the quirks of the OS. Contacts don't seem easily organized unless you put everything into Goole's trusting hands, yet another email account etc. While cool and open source and all it still strikes me a bit like all of the Linux distros and their differences, a lot of cool stuff but somewhat all over the place.

More to follow, over all I think I'm gonna' like it once I get my head wrapped around it. Pity the Granny that gets one of these though (but I guess Brannies arent buying them :) )
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit