iPad vs. Netbook

A place to talk about all things mobile
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

iPad vs. Netbook

Post by Skippman »

I have a Gateway netbook I bought to replace my aging laptop and have found that I'm not using it the way I'd like. I assumed it would be a laptop replacement for most things but I'm finding things like video playback suck. Plus it's boot times are aweful.

Lately I had the chance to play with a friends iPad. I have to say it's video playback was superior to my netbooks, it's form factor a lot more "carry friendly", and the iBook ap very useful.

Anyone on here an iPad owner? What are your thoughts "after the honeymoon is over"?
FZ1

Re: iPad vs. Netbook

Post by FZ1 »

I still love my iPad (bought it at launch) and had considered getting a netbook previously but now I have no desire for one. The only shortcoming IMO so far is the lack of flash support which makes surfing the web a little less robust depending on your browsing habits. My wife and I watched 3 hours of video on the plane to CA and I only used 20% of the battery. I'm very happy i got the 3G version.
Joe
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

That was something I was thinking about. 3G vs non 3G. I've got an iPhone with the unlimited data plan currently. They no longer offer such a thing for the iPad and I'm worried about cost if I suddenly have another $25 a month data plan to deal with.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I was at Best Buy today and they had an open box unit that was just returned. It's the 16gb 3G version for $599. I tried to talk them into throwing in a case on the deal but they wouldn't budge. Do you guys think this is a good deal or should I buy a new in box unit?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

It's a crapshoot. Likely someone returned it because there was something amiss (i.e. dead pixels) for which the warranty doesn't cover. You are better off buying a refurbed one from Apple if any are available.
Joe
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

FZ1 wrote:It's a crapshoot. Likely someone returned it because there was something amiss (i.e. dead pixels) for which the warranty doesn't cover. You are better off buying a refurbed one from Apple if any are available.
Apple doesn't cover dead pixels as a manufactural defect?
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Skippman wrote:
FZ1 wrote:It's a crapshoot. Likely someone returned it because there was something amiss (i.e. dead pixels) for which the warranty doesn't cover. You are better off buying a refurbed one from Apple if any are available.
Apple doesn't cover dead pixels as a manufactural defect?
If I recall correctly, like most manufacturers, the # of dead pixels has to exceed a certain threshold as a percentage of the overall # of pixels. I don't know the specifics though.
Joe
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

That, to me, is unacceptable and almost turns me off buying one completely. There is no acceptable level of dead pixels on a display and I'd never tell any of my home theater customers that "Your Samsung TV is within our level of acceptable error". [-X
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Skippman wrote:That, to me, is unacceptable and almost turns me off buying one completely. There is no acceptable level of dead pixels on a display and I'd never tell any of my home theater customers that "Your Samsung TV is within our level of acceptable error". [-X
It's not just Apple, I know Dell still has the same policy. I received an LCD with a dead pixel and they would not accept an RMA because it didn't qualify since there was only 1. It had to be a significant amount or grouped in one small area.
Joe
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

They did on mine when I bought my 2407FPW. No questions asked. Cross shipped me a replacement. On a (at the time) $800 monitor I'd expect nothing less. Maybe their policy has changed since then.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

I got burnt like that on a viewsonic monitor years ago. It has one pink pixel in it that drives me nuts. I called viewsonic when I noticed it that night and they told me it had to be 5 bad pixels before they would do anything about it. Still have that monitor and that is still the only bad pixel. Needless to say I wasn't happy about it, being as I just dropped ~325 bucks for it.
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaddyRabbit »

A couple of friends of mine have iPads and they are kinda' neat but I wouldn't buy one for my use. IMHO they are overpriced and underpowered. If they had a bit more speed and ran OSX versus iOS at a comparable price then it would be a better sell, for my use that is. As it stands I can do just about any mobile task the iPad can do that I would need to do with my Droid X and some things the iPad can't do albeit with a smaller screen.

There are a couple of reasons I would never buy an Apple (iPhone, iPod/Touch, IPad), and some other makers mobile devices as well, for MY use:

1) No user replaceable battery (the only reason I have a Kindle 2 is because it was a gift, do love it though!).

2) No expandable storage without "dongles" and such that cost even more money already attached to an arguably overpriced device as well as increasing the carrying load.

Please note the caveats of "For MY Use". These devices will appeal to and enhance some users lives, just not mine YMMV. That said, my friend (who are long time Apple users but not extreme fanboys) like their iPads that they ordered on launch day. I LOVED my DroidX when I got it a few days ago but am now seeing a couple of chinks in Android's armor, all systems will have pro's and cons.
I personally would wait, if I could, to see what new Android (or Linux) based devices are coming down the pipe to compete with the iPad can do.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit