New Phone - Android Or Windows??

A place to talk about all things mobile
Neptune24
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

New Phone - Android Or Windows??

Post by Neptune24 »

Hi guys. I have decided that it's time to get a new phone and I was hoping to get some help. Firstly I want a Samsung, and I just need some help with which one. Do you guys think that the windows OS is better (and does it have free apps in a some sort of marketplace), or is the Android OS better. And came I also ask for which phone would be best for either one.

Thanks

Neptune24
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD PhenomII X4 965 Processor, 3.4GHz(Stock)
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti Memory: 1024 MB
GPU Driver:
Direct X 11
skier

Re: New Phone - Android Or Windows??

Post by skier »

last i've heard, Android is top dog
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

I have a Samsung Moment with Android and like it. I can tell you the most frustrated I have been with any phone ever was when I had a Windows based phone. I can't speak for their latest version of mobile OS, but I'm getting mad just thinking about the last one I had from several years ago.

The only issue I have with Android is that apps have virtually free reign of the phone. There aren't any rules out there really about what data the apps send or where it gets sent. There have been some recent articles about this topic.

With all of that said I do believe that multi-core phones will be coming out by summer, if not sooner.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Neptune24
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Neptune24 »

So Android then and I can't seem to find the moment for operation in the UK. However you have narrowed my options a bit.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD PhenomII X4 965 Processor, 3.4GHz(Stock)
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti Memory: 1024 MB
GPU Driver:
Direct X 11
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

The moment is dated and an exclusive model to Sprint. If you are set on Android and Samsung then I'd look into their "galaxy" class of phones. I know all of the major carriers in the US have their own versions and I'm sure you have a similar option over there. Personally I like a slide-out keyboard so those phones are perfect. I have several friends and co-workers that have them and love them.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I use a HTC Wildfile running Andriod 2.2 and find it great.
I've used a smart phone since the palm days and find Andriod easilly the best OS (even better that iOS)
There's way more apps and community support for Andriod than for windows mobile OS's
Chris87
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Chris87 »

Hi,

I have a Nokia Lumia 710 and really like the phone and the OS as well. I did not have Android previously so I cannot compare the two. My experiences are good about Windows Phone 7 OS, I think it is really user friendly. Although there are more apps for Android but I think Windows Phone OS will also catch up. I am also developing an app for Windows Phone 7. During my research I found a good guide that offers relevant inofrmation about app development. There are code examples as well (in case you are interested about it: http://www.voip-sip-sdk.com/p_511-windo ... -voip.html) that were really useful during the app development. Anyway, I am waiting for the Windows Phone 7.8 update to come out and later might switch the phone to a Lumia 820 or 920 that run Windows 8 OS.