Playing with ROMs on my Droid

A place to talk about all things mobile
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Playing with ROMs on my Droid

Post by Illuminati »

So I finally took some time to install a custom ROM on my Droid X last night and ended up installing the Tranquility 3.7 ROM. Its nice, but I'm already interested in trying some other ROMs, so I was wondering if anyone else out there has found a ROM they think is great!

I'm interested in finding a ROM that feels like a new OS... the Tranquility ROM gets rid of the bloat and adds the ability to customize a lot of things and different themes, but it still feels like the same old stock OS to me and I'm looking for a little different.

Here are a couple of screenshots of my Droid using Tranquility 3.7 and the RedX theme that is available in Tranquility Tools.
RedX Desktop
RedX Desktop
tranq_redx_theme_desktop.jpg (43.84 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
Apps Screen
Apps Screen
tranq_redx_theme_apps.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 5927 times
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Playing with ROMs on my Droid

Post by Major_A »

Can't comment on the ROMs yet. I rooted my EVO 4G but since I deleted/stopped/adjusted the stock apps I'm content. What are you using to find ROMs?
http://www.appbrain.com/app/rom-manager ... rommanager
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I did use Rom Manager to install tranquility, but I didn't use it to find it... I've just been manually searching for droid x roms and reading about some of them on various forums.... not very efficient :)
Justin West
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

You have a leg up on me. I have no idea what ROM to try. There are literally hundreds of them over xda's EVO forum.

EDIT
Let me ask you this. When you installed a new ROM is it essentially like formatting your PC and starting over? I would hate to have to reinstall all my apps over and over until I found a ROM I liked. (Note: I do have AppMonster so it wouldn't be that big of a pain, but a pain none the less.)
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Yes, you wipe the system when you install a mod... I used Titanium Backup and it backed up all my apps (that I chose for it to backup) and once the rom was installed, I used titanium backup to restore the apps I told it to. Took a bit to install 54 apps, but at least it was an automated way (sort of) to keep all of my apps without having to remember what I need to install.
Justin West
HONkUS
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by HONkUS »

CyanogenMOD 7 Nightlies have been at a very polished state for a long time now on the OG Droid. You should give it a try! CM 7 has a lot of nice features! You should make sure you have a recovery that support the new Gingerbread ROM's though, Clockwork Recovery 3.X works well.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

Yes, CyanogenMod looks to be one of the best out there. Unfortunately, the Droid X is not supported by CyanogenMod because that ROM requires an unlocked bootloader and the Droid X/2 seem to be locked forever.
Justin West