Need help, sub $1000 laptop for Christmas

A place to talk about all things mobile
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Need help, sub $1000 laptop for Christmas

Post by Camride »

Hey guys, I'm new here(though not to computers). I've convinced my family to get me a new laptop for Christmas, but because of a lack of funds(or willingness of my family to spend more) It has to be around $800. Now since this laptop will be my only computer I really want the following: Pentium M cpu, 512mb DDR2 RAM, real graphics card(no integrated Intel graphics, though I don't mind if the actual graphics card is integrated, this laptop won't be upgraded as far as the cpu or gpu), a CD burner and Wifi(bluetooth would be a big plus).

Now so far the only way I've been able to get close to this is with a Dell Inspiron 6000 with my gov't discount(not much) and their current $300 off $999 Inspiron's. Now this gets me everything I want above for right over $800, but it's a Dell. Now I haven't had any bad experiences with Dell, but I wouldn't mind going a different direction.

Anyway, can any of you guys suggest a notebook with the preceeding requirements for under $900? I know it's hard, but there has to be an alternative to the Dell!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

K i think i may have found a good place to start

the AOpen 1559 looks like it might just make the cut Link

Page has them for like 615

its got a 6600go, decent battery life, and looks good.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

wow. that looks like a good deal :finga:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Why do you want to limit yourself to a 32-bit processor? If you are planning to upgrade in the next two years then I understand.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

because the AMD is not as good at power consumption as the p-M. I get 9hrs of battery life in a sub 5lb package, your not going to find an AMD laptop that can do the same.
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

Oh, the battery life. Yeah, it gets weird on that. :) The supercheap laptops are lousy and the highend Intel and AMD systems are about the same but the middle-of-the-road is quite varied. It's enough to make ya go cuckoo. :)
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Camride »

Yeah, this laptop is just to hold me over for about a year or so, so 64bit isn't a concern right now. My work computer is 64bit so if I want to try out the new Windows I can do it there. I'm getting married in 6 months so money is tight right now since we're paying for the whole wedding. After we're married we will be alot better financially, so maybe towards the end of next year I can start looking at a better laptop. For now I just need something under $900 that has a Pentium M and a real graphics card so I can play games at least on low res.

Oh, and that Aopen laptop looks interesting, but it's hard as hell to figure out what it comes with on their website. I can't figure out how much ram it has, or if it has a WiFi card, what size hard drive or anything! Or is it a barebones? Plus, I don't know a darn thing about Aopen laptops, so I don't know if this thing is going to be reliable or not.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Yeah, i dont know how much stuff comes with it either, i would call the company, (ie Page) on monday and ask them for more information, i think it comes with the CPU and DVD/CDRW drive, my guess is you need to buy the HD, memory, and WIFI, but all that should not cost too much if you look around. For 1gb of DDR2 your looking at ~$50, for the HD some where in the same range, and you can get the WIFI off amazon or ebay for under $25.
stlgirl
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by stlgirl »

Go to the Aopen website. http://solution.aopen.com.tw/products/nb/1559-AS.htm

It gives you a little more info on the laptop and you can also look over the company.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Welcome!! stlgirl, thanks for the link!
stlgirl
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by stlgirl »

Thanks infinitevalence for the warm welcome :)
infinitevalence wrote:Welcome!! stlgirl, thanks for the link!
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

yes, welcome!! a bunch of warm people to give a warm welcome!
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Camride »

Ok, another quick question. Since it looks like I'll be going with a Dell, which would you guys recommend?

Dell Inspiron 9300, 17" WXGA, 1.73Ghz/533 Sonoma, x300 64mb hyper memory, 60gig 5,400 HD, 512mb DDR2 533mhz, Wifi, CD burner/DVD-ROM, Windows Media Center with Remote

Dell Inspiron 6000, 15.4" WXGA, 1.6Ghz/533 Sonoma, X300 64mb Hyper Memory, 40gig 5,400HD, 512mb DDR2 533mhz, Wifi, CD burner/DVD-ROM, Windows Media Center with Remote

They're about a $75 difference, which pushes the 9300 a bit over my budget. But if it's worth it, I'll put up the cash myself. The thing I'm wondering is if the 9300 is going to be really cumbersome. I'm going to be using this laptop in my, well, lap and I don't want some huge monstrosity that's annoying, though the thought of having a 17' screen is pretty cool. Since they have basically the same specs, same batteries(6 cell, 53wh) and all, the only real difference is the screen and how they're built. Is the 9300 built better than the 6000? Or should I just stick with the 6000 since I'm going to be moving it around alot(taking it on flights, to work, etc) and it'll be lighter and smaller.

I thought about the 600m, but the video card is a ATI 9000 mobility, which isn't exactly cutting edge. Plus the cpu is the older 400fsb chip, which I wouldn't want to go for if I'm spending the same amount of money.

Whatcha guys think?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

well... honestly the x300 is not going to cut it, its just barely better than using the onboard gfx of the 915 chipset. Another thing is that getting the 400fsb chip with 2mb cache on a laptop with a 915 chipset means you can do the pin mod and overclock the chip, thus giving you much more performance. The most popular chips for that are 725 and the 735.

As for weight, i would go with a smaller screen, mine is 15.4 and is just right. The whole thing is under 5lbs yet its got the power to do video editing, graphics, dvd authoring, and take notes and surf the web.
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Camride »

If the x300 is really not much better(Dell says it's 169% better than integrated graphics!) than maybe I shouldn't even bother? I can hold out for a better gaming laptop til later this year if it's not worth getting the x300. But if the x300 really will allow me to at least play some games like Halo 1 in low res settings(which I'm almost positive integrated graphics wouldn't) then it's worth it to me.

Either way, the 9300 is starting to look a little better to me, just because it has a DVI and VGA output on the back. I didn't know that before now. I'm still not sure I want to lug around a 17" laptop though.
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

What's the warranty on Dell? Do the more expensive ones have 1 year warranty? Also, do you have a Costco account?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... v=&browse=
2 year with that price looks nice but video is still a problem.

My Dell workstation at work uses the x300 video card, works great for work especially since I have a dual monitor setup. Don't know how well the x300 does for games but suspect not very good.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

x300 sucks big time. it's pretty much like integrated graphics. you have to go at least x700 or better yet 6600go to get any playable performance. If you want to play as well, then forget the x300.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Camride »

If the X300 isn't going to make a difference I'll just save my money, get the Dell with the integrated graphics for now and get a better laptop in a year. I'd like to get the Aopen one, but i can't afford to buy a cpu, HD, cd burner and memory after spending almost $700 on the case.

It looks like I'll stick with the dell 6000 for now and just get the integrated graphics and save $50. I just won't be able to play any games on it, which isn't really a huge deal since I rarely have time to play games anyway.

Now I just have to decide if I should get the 9300, 6000 or 600m. 17", 15.4 or 14.1 wide screen. Still not sure which one I'd want.

Ok, one last question. Would the ATI mobility 9000 in the 600m be better or worse than the integrated graphics on the 6000? What about the 9000 mobility vs the x300?

I really wish I had just a few hundred more to spend so I could get something with the 6600 or x700. :cry:
Camride
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Camride »

Any other opinions?