going wireless

A place to talk about all things mobile
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

going wireless

Post by DeusEx »

i have a router at home and my laptop should be work fine once i get the rj-45 cable and use the router with my modem. my question is; is there anythng i can get that will allow me wireless connection away from home. by that i mean if i go to a hotel and have my laptop with the wireless a/b/g card, how can i get a connection? what device do i need? thanks
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Are you asking if you can use your internet connection via wireless when not @ home??? This is not possible, unless your ~20meters from your access point

If you mean, can you connect to a hotel hotspot (ie. use their internet connection), then all you need to do is make sure your wireless switch is on. Then d-click the wifi connection icon in your taskbar...This will give you a list of wireless networks in range.. Just select the network and click connect....Some hotels charge you for internet access, this might mean you need to get a scratch card from reception, the card contacins a network key (WEP key).

The only device you need is the onboard wifi card in your laptop...it will automatically pick-up any wireless access points in range...
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

If the hotel does not have wireless available, you could bring your wireless router and plug that into the hotel's internet connection...

But there would probably have to be some configuration done on your router to get it to connect to the hotel's internet (like if there is a password needed to connect to the hotel's network). But once that is ready, then you will be able to use your laptop's wireless.

But if the hotel has internet available, they probably have a little desk in the room and it will probably be easier to just set the laptop up on the desk in the room and plug the hotel's RJ-45 cable into the network port on the laptop.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook