mobile i7 security

A place to talk about all things mobile
jyeates
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

mobile i7 security

Post by jyeates »

recently got a asus u46e-bal6 with a i7 sandy-bridge processor ... said processor has some decent security hooks in the silicon and i wanted to register said machine with LoJaack. they require a security code (that i assume is tied to the physical chip hardware) on the "included post card" thats is of course missing from my packaging. all staff at point of purchase (best buy) are clueless about matter. so far any contact at asus dosn't know how to handle this.

* anyone know of a utility to pull this code out of the security section of this processor

* any one have similar situation w/resolutions

thanks
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: mobile i7 security

Post by Major_A »

Correct me if I'm wrong here. Don't you install the software then that creates the unique code? Intel also has their own version of Lojack embedded in the CPU.
http://ipt.intel.com/welcome.aspx
jyeates
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: mobile i7 security

Post by jyeates »

the security features are built into the intel sandy bridge processor .... to register your machine with a recovery service (LoJaak) you need a unique security identifier ... that identifier is supposed to be provided on a pastcard you can use to activate those services ... that card was missing in my packagaing and seller is clueless about it or how to resolve ... nor has intel support been very helpful

since this is a identifier encoded in the physical there should be some way to query / recover that code string