Overclocking and Under Volting the Pentium M

A place to talk about all things mobile
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Overclocking and Under Volting the Pentium M

Post by infinitevalence »

!!!!! This is not a definitive guide to overclocking, it is MY quick and dirty way to get a fast overclock. This guide will not maximize your performance, it will only enhance it. If you want to find the maximum performance read some of the stickies. As usual I and the owners of the forums take no responsibility if you damage your stuff. You break it you bought it. Use your brain when overclocking keep an eye on temperatures and don't use unreasonable voltages, you can damage your equipment if you don't. This guide is a living document I will update it as corrections are made and new techniques are adapted. Please do not post flames, keep it to constructive information or questions regarding this guide. !!!!!

Several people have been using this form to find out about building their own laptops. With this comes the desire to overclock and under volt the Pentium m. This is a quick guide to doing just that.

For those who have a laptop based on the 915 chip set and have a 400mhz FSB processor there is a simple wire modification that will force your processor to run at 533. I do not recommend getting a processor with over a 17 multiplier as there is not guarantee that it will boot. So your best options are the 735 which should do 2.26ghz and the 725 which should do 2.13ghz.

The first thing your going to need to do is make the wire for this mod. I use a single strand from some braided speaker wire. Cut it to a length of about 4-5mm. Then bend it into a U shape from the middle of the wire. I find that the best way to insert the wire is using a small pair of needle nose pliers.

Now that you have the wire insert it into the two holes indicated in the picture. As you can see I have already placed my wire in the correct place to assist you in finding it on your laptop. Now pop your Pentium M into its socket and lets boot the sucker.

Now that you have it modded to run at 533FSB your laptop is going to use allot more battery power. That's where the undervolting comes in. Download .NET and Centreno Hardware Control (CHC). This program lets you set up voltages and multipliers. I use dynamic switching so that as the computer requires more power it simple uses one of my preset multipliers and voltages.

To test use prime95 set it to torture test large FFT and let it run at the default voltage for a while, then using CHC reduce the voltage, again let prime95 run until you feel satisfied that it is stable. Repeat this process until you find the LOWEST stable voltage at your maximum multiplier and then drop the multiplier to a lower number. Repeat again testing with prime95 until you find the LOWEST stable voltage for each of the multipliers you wish to use.

That's it folks your done, now not only are you getting a top of the line CPU for pennies on the dollar, but your also getting the most battery life you can out of your new powerhouse of a laptop.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

any tips for someone with a 740? i got it for my brother's laptop build this christmas (still have to do it... damn abspc and their horrible customer service...).
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

the 740 is a 533fsb chip, so sell it :) get a 400 like the 735 or swap it out with your 760. its a good chip just not for this type of mod, because you either get 400 or 533 there is no middle ground.
kayaker
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by kayaker »

Has anyone tried this mod with the CT-479?
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

kayaker wrote:Has anyone tried this mod with the CT-479?
Is there any need to?
Just get a DDR400 ram and you can OC the old fashioned way ;)
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

kayaker wrote:Has anyone tried this mod with the CT-479?
i'm gonna be selling mine soon enough...
edrisk
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by edrisk »

Quick question, would the BIOS still read 735 1700MHZ if you do the mod? I'm thinking of trying this, though still struggling with the idea.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Yes the bios still reads it as a 735.
Bun-Bun
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Bun-Bun »

Whats the point in this? Are there chassi's out there that don't have dip switchs to change the FSB?
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DeusEx »

one random question ? any way i could mod the hardware notebook control so instead of ATI readings it would tell me the Nvidia readings ? cause on my asus z71v i dont have ati so the readings are just blank, id prefer to know the temps of my graphix card since i OC'ed it :roll:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

not that i know of, but i guess you could ask the author or look at an alternitive program.
mikeccuk2005
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mikeccuk2005 »

sorry to bring this post up years ago...

Ok i think it didnt work. i looked at different forums about overclocking pentium m. but the result came all out the same. My Asus A6vm with 735 still getting 1700mhz read off the bios and cpuz. I also did volt modd earlier but there is no point

here my config

PIN MODDED: @attach1
ORIGINAL: @attach2
i knowtice there is a little switch, is that the one? (red ring)
If yes what is 133bus is? 1off2on? or 1on2off?

EDIT:
Problem solved with the switch> 1off2on ,now its running 2260 mhz!!
Attachments
s479.jpg
s479.jpg (181.44 KiB) Viewed 62577 times
SSL20870.JPG
SSL20870.JPG (169.31 KiB) Viewed 62581 times
JohnWick121
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re:

Post by JohnWick121 »

kayaker wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:37 am Has anyone tried this mod with the CT-479?GBWhatsApp
Yeah, I have tried it. It works so well with CT-479.Kinemaster Diamond
adamscott
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Overclocking and Under Volting the Pentium M

Post by adamscott »

The best way to insert the wire is using a small pair of needle nose pliers. foundation crack repair Pizza restaurant near fort worth tx

www.edmondpaintingpros.com