Good 11-14 inch ultrabook? And e-book readers?

A place to talk about all things mobile
dlf
Legit User
Legit User

Good 11-14 inch ultrabook? And e-book readers?

Post by dlf »

I am somewhat in need of a new laptop to take notes at school with . . . I also want something like a kindle (or reasonable sized tablet(?)) for e-books

Ultrabook:
  • 11-14 inches
    2-~4 pounds
    I have a little bit of scoliosis . . . so not too heavy a system, but not too light that I hate the thing anyway.
    I may want to do some light gaming on it (anything from about 2007 or before shouldn't be much of a issue, should it?)
    Less than $550 if possible (I'm sure it isn't considering the SSD)
    Good keyboard, no Chiclet sort of keys (?) - I somewhat hate and slower on typing on flatter keys.
    I do NOT want an optical drive
    What else should I consider?
Anyone of experience with the Acer Aspire S5-391-6836 it seems like a nice ultrabook, seems to have a good processor (i5). For the price it seems like it should come with at lest some bit of hard drive space (not only a SSD) or more RAM. It's light enough, good enough processor, decent GPU, if it's still purchasable in a few weeks/months I may try to get this.

E-book reader
  • Large enough storage (4+ Gigs I'd think)
    Reasonable screen size (5+ inches?)
    Reasonable battery life
    What else should I consider?
    I hope to use it for school textbooks so I don't have to lug those around, and at night before I go to sleep I can read some.
KnightRid

Re: Good 11-14 inch ultrabook? And e-book readers?

Post by KnightRid »

I chuckled when I saw the $550 price but then you picked one out that is almost $100 more than that anyway :?

Why not spend more money to get a nice convertible ultrabook so you can have a tablet and laptop in one rather than just an e-reader?

That Acer you picked out seems decent but wait until you are ready to actually buy to make your final decision. Hardware configurations change so fast that you may be able to get something better for the same money (or worse with that memory factory fire that we will feel the effects of for a few months I imagine).

Now if you still insist on getting an e-reader (which is any tablet under 10" - yea, my opinion but the 7" crap is an e-reader, deal with it :finga: ) I would stick with Amazon right now due to B&N looking to outsource the Nook and possibly sell it off. Any of the Kindles would do fine for you and i would suggest paying the Amazon blackmail money to get rid of the ads.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Hopefully you visit because Newegg had a $600 ultrabook with core i5 and they give you a free tablet, in their email today.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

The best deal right now in this price range is this ACER. It is not an ultrabook but almost and still very light. It has the new Haswell processor, Intel HD graphics 4400 (Can do any older game and even new ones with decent frames) etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-E1-57 ... uctDetails

15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal™ LED-backlit Display: (1366 x 768) resolution; 16:9 aspect ratio
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor 1.6GHzwith Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.6GHz
Windows 8
Intel® HD Graphics 4400 with 128MB of dedicated system memory
4GB Low-Power DDR3L Dual Channel Memory
500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Digital Media Card Reader - Secure Digital™ (SD) Card
802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™
Bluetooth® 4.0+HS
HD Webcam(1280 x 720)
High Definition Audio Support
Two Built-in stereo speakers
2- USB 2.0 Ports
1- USB 3.0 Port
1- HDMI™ Portwith HDCP Support
4-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (2500mAh)
Up to 4-hours battery life
5.18lbs. | 2.35kg system unit only
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=