Portable Media Players...ARRRRGH!

A place to talk about all things mobile
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Portable Media Players...ARRRRGH!

Post by Kaos Kid »

My daughter has been using an old Samsung phone as her media player, but she's tired of it (wants a real media player, not an inactive phone and we can't afford to get her a smartphone). She has been wanting and has been promised an IPOD touch 6G (she is a great kid, and deserves it) but it seems to me that having to go through iTunes to transfer her mp3s over and not being able to add an SD card for additional storage makes it a costly investment with no expansion options and a PitA to add music to, although she also likes it for the latest picture and video quality and capabilities.

What is the best media player out today for around $200 or less? WiFi is a must, and an SD slot is a preferred option to add storage space. It needs to be no bigger than a phone so no tablets.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Portable Media Players...ARRRRGH!

Post by Apoptosis »

I got a brand new Samsung Galaxy Note II smart phone (ATT) that I never used in the retail box still...

If you'd want something like that might work out and then if she wanted a phone later you can get a SIM and just activate that.

I think I can even throw in some free cases for it that I have laying around that are also brand new.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

PM sent for requesting more info
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Pm sent for a meet :)
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Buehler?

Buehler?

Buehler?
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

She didn't want to wait any longer so I finally got her an Ipod Touch 6th Gen to try. She likes the size, but I HATE the requirements to set up Apple ID and provide private ID information. Even if I can find a program that allows file transfers from her laptop PC she still wouldn't be able to access Apple App store without us giving private information. We've been discussing returning it, that is a shame too because her friends mom works at Target and got us a 15% discount on it, but AFAIK I will only be out the shipping cost. I guess I can look at Android phones that don't require contracts and are wifi enabled with SD card storage options. Anybody know of a good phone on the smaller side that with those specs that I can research and compare? Doesn't matter the carrier since I will not be activating service anytime soon, just really want the wifi and access to Android apps (Google Play?). It would be nice if there were also protective cases easily available for it. I would love to find an alternative to Apple for my own sanity.

Edit: I realize that in order to be affordable and have the SD slot and removable battery it will probably be a couple of years old, that isn't a problem.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Samsung Galaxy S3 maybe. Wife loved hers but she had it as a phone not for music.

You will have permissions everywhere! You should see some of them just to install certain apps, its crazy. Might as well just tell me that at some point they are going to break into my home and kill me in my sleep.

I had the S4 which was awesome but again, as a phone, didnt really listen to music on it.

Ipod has the market for music players :(
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Just saw Best Buys sale ad with a Samsung Clip Sport mp3 player for $35 or $40 with 4gb and 8gb and they have a mice sdhc slot - only music though....
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah, it looks like the Galaxy S4 is what she wants, I've had my eye out looking for one of those for a reasonable price. She is a small person with small hands so a compact phone is the way she wants to go. She likes Android and playing with the apps, so a plain media player doesn't cut it. From what I've seen the Galaxy S4 works pretty well on WiFi, which is what she will use it on since we don't have talk and data plans for a phone service in our budget.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Kaos Kid wrote:Yeah, it looks like the Galaxy S4 is what she wants, I've had my eye out looking for one of those for a reasonable price. She is a small person with small hands so a compact phone is the way she wants to go. She likes Android and playing with the apps, so a plain media player doesn't cut it. From what I've seen the Galaxy S4 works pretty well on WiFi, which is what she will use it on since we don't have talk and data plans for a phone service in our budget.
The S4 is not very small, just FYI. I had one, well still have since they would not take it for a trade in due to the screen being cracked. Loved it though! Still works perfect as long as I don't take the Otterbox case off hahahahaahaha Take that off and the glass will fall apart. hopefully you can find one in great shape for a steal!