Looking for a cheap wireless adapter

A place to talk about all things mobile
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Looking for a cheap wireless adapter

Post by pcrobot »

I just got an older laptop from a friend of a friend yesterday. It runs near perfect, but I need to find a good (and fairly cheap) wireless adapter for either a PC Card slot or USB.

I would prefer a PC Card for two reasons, the laptop only has two USB ports and I think a USB adapter would be more prone to snapping off.

I have looked on several sites, and I was surprised that Newegg didn't have many PC Card adapters.

Anyway, I'm looking for one that's around $30 or less, has 802.11g and at least 54Mbps.

Thanks!
road
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

stupid question

Post by road »

Stupid question, but sometimes folks use the term PC card generically:
Can the laptop use 32bit Cardbus (looks the same) or does it require 16bit PC card (laptop is older than 1998)?

You're right I only see 1 PC card (16bit) around $30 shipped:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833109008

If it handles cardbus there are oodles with 50+ reviews.

Good luck
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

The laptop is a HP Pavilion ze1250, which I think is from 2003, I can check if the hardware manager says if it has a 32bit or 16bit.

EDIT: I have discovered that it has a 16bit PC Card slot. :( Do they even make a 16bit card that supports 802.11g?

Thanks!
road
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

usb then

Post by road »

Cripes, I can't see one. Most sites get so generic you end up banging out model numbers at the manufacturer only to find out that PCMCIA listed on the reseller means CARDBUS. One I suggested above was only 11b, oops.

Go for USB then or use slower 11b? Maybe velcro the usb bugger on the side or lid. Some pro here will probably have his usb dongle soldered inside. :P

/trailing dongle
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I have one here that is internal that I can send you... It's used and is out of a system pull. It's internal though.... Can't beat free can ya?
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Apoptosis wrote:I have one here that is internal that I can send you... It's used and is out of a system pull. It's internal though.... Can't beat free can ya?
I PMed you... my main question is how to tell if it's gonna fit in the laptop.

BTW, Here's a pic of the laptop if you're interested...
wildlaser
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by wildlaser »

If you happen to get a dongle you can build an antenna out of it! or get a cantenna! for wifi access