Just registered - Hi There!!

Now that you have found our forums and become a member take a second to introduce yourself to others and get to know us!
E_T
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Just registered - Hi There!!

Post by E_T »

Hey all, glad to be here.

Found this site from a link at REVIEWShq.com while looking at ECS KN1 reviews. This site looks kewl... so I registeered.

I live in Winter Park, FL, which is in Central Florida (Lightning Capitol of the North Hemisphere). I currently make Filters and Oscilators (mostly MilSpec & Class 3 Soldering) with a Company down here. Second Gen Native Floridian (a rareity,here).

I like to play the more "sedate" kind of games (TBS mostly, like Civ). I love reading SF, SluggyFreelance and SchlockMercenary.

I currently use a PII-450 rig with W98se, but looking to upgrade (piece by piece, only way affordible to me, currently), hence finding this site while making my selection.

E_T
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Hey I used to own a Pentium II 400MHz hehe Welcome to the forums and glad you registered. I'm sure you'll get more than enough advice here on how to get your own custom rig up and running!

The ECS KN1 motherboard offers good performance at a value price.

Also I didn't know that Central Florida was the "Lightning Capitol of the North Hemisphere" Why is that?

Welcome!
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

welcome, dude :)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Welcome for sure. Im a Civ fan my self, just got Civ4 been playing it non stop more or less for 4-5 days O.O dont fret whith the old computer, it happens to all of us. The good news is we will help you get the most out of your $$, the bad news is that Civ4 requires a DirectX 9 video card, i would say no less than a 6200 or x600... but still thoes are all cheap right around $100. So any way just ask we will help you find what your looking for.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Actually there is a Geforce 6600GT over at Newegg for $100 After Rebate, which is a great card for even a better price :)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Welcome :)
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Apoptosis wrote:Actually there is a Geforce 6600GT over at Newegg for $100 After Rebate, which is a great card for even a better price :)
the problem is a PII-450 has a 1xAGP so the 6600GT would as slow as an onboard video, not to mention 450Mhz is no support for such a card.
last week a friend of mine asked me to put in his PIII-633 a GF4 5200. I OC'd the CPU to 790Mhz, flashed the card to a 5500 and OC'd it. then ran 3dmark 2001. the score was: 2250 points :shock:
then I checked: the motherboard has a 1xAgp and really makes no difference what I do. motherboard, ram, CPU is just to small to support the 6600GT.
BTW the same card was flashd and OC'd in my rig and got 3856p. in 3dmark03!
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Be carefull putting an new GFX card into an old board....

AGP 4x & 8x cards are compatible......the board will switch voltages automatically
AGP 1x & 2x uses ALOT higher voltages and the SLOT MAY KILL a new card due to overvoliting.....
My old gigabyte board had a 850E chipset...it was AGP 4x...I could use an AGP 8x card @ 4x speeds......but there was a warning near the slot NOT to put an older spec card in there as it would kill them.....the same warning is on an old pentium board with AGP 2x......

sbohdan--> you might want to ask you friend if the card is runnig a bit hot :shock:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

well seeing how he got here looking at a motherboard review I took a wild guess and am thinking he is going to upgrade his board... hehe
Zelig
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Just registered - Hi There!!

Post by Zelig »

E_T wrote:I like to play the more "sedate" kind of games (TBS mostly, like Civ). I love reading SF, SluggyFreelance and SchlockMercenary.
Sluggy rocks. I'm currently working my way through userfriendly, will have to take a look at those other ones you mentioned after I'm done with that.

Civ also rocks. I wasn't a big fan of civ3, and haven't tried civ4 yet, but I'm still an avid player of civ2. Currently playing a PBEM game of a WW2 scenario with some buds from my school.
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

infinitevalence wrote:Civ4 requires a DirectX 9 video card, i would say no less than a 6200 or x600... but still thoes are all cheap right around $100. So any way just ask we will help you find what your looking for.
The x600 should work. I have played Civ4 on my laptop which is using a x600M with the omega drivers. This past Sunday I play Civ4 on my dual-core Intel 830 system with an 256Meg X800 and the game felt exactly the same between the two systems. :)
gvblake22
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by gvblake22 »

I've been anxious to try Civ4. My friend just got it and he is a huge Civilization fan, but his laptop is not powerful enough to run it! lol
So I'm still trying to let me "test" out his game for him :ANAL:

But yeah, welcome to the Legit Reviews forums E_T!!! :mrgreen:
R3N3G4D3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by R3N3G4D3 »

Civ4 is a great game, but it eats up more resources than a billionaire's wife. This is one of the very few games where you will actually notice a significant difference between 1 gig and 2 gigs of RAM. My Desktop barely handles it, and I've already learned the hard way not to trade maps with opponents. Anyway, welcome to the forums, and if you are planning to run Civ4, make sure to get lots of RAM (at least 1 GB) and a powerful videocard. People with Radeon 7800 cards and similar cards (which are popular in laptops) all have problems with background not rendering at all.