Hi all

Now that you have found our forums and become a member take a second to introduce yourself to others and get to know us!
ratcat
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Hi all

Post by ratcat »

Hi, my name is Paul. Self employed PC Technician operating my own business in Maryborough Victoria (Australia) since 2005. I am not into extreme systems anymore like I used to be so my "Rig" hasnt been upgraded in a couple of years, fairly standard Intel Desktop board DX580SO Extreme, i7 950, 6 GB Corsair DDR3 500 GB Caviar Black WD. Geforce GTX470 nVidia Sound Blaster Fatal1ty Pro, Corsir 850 watt PSU and Antec Skeleton enclosure (not mini) W7 64 Bit Ultimate 22" Samsung 2233, 120 Hz Refresh rate for nvidia 3D Vision and 3D vision setup. I play mostly FPS games and the occasional 3rd person all in 3D except when its not possible due to the game not suporting 3D or too many shadows etc.I am an Intel fan boy and cannot stand ATI/AMD because they both give me grief. My glasses stuffed up a few weeks ago, I found out the problem was the two wires that go around the glasses arms to the circuit board in front were broken so I just clipped them and resoldered them. If you have 3D glasses dont fold them closed when you are not using them, that way the wires wont eventually break. I'm almost due for a new pair anyway because the battery doesnt last very long although its virtually the same battery you find in those small rc helicopters so I might try that eventually. For my first post I would like to ask if anyone can help me with a motherboard problem. My DX580SO is such a baby that it wont get out of bed when its too cold. It powers up with all the lights but the monitor wont power up so it sounds like a video adaptor problem I would have thought. I put my fan heater on it for a couple of minutes and it starts no problem. Only when it is less than 10 degrees celcius does it refuse to start so as winter is coming on the problem has just started again. I've tried everything I know - using the onboard adaptor and taking the Geforce out changing RAM different power supply taking the sound card out and using the onboard, I replaced a few capacitors which looked a little bulged, disconnected HDD and DVD. Tried going over the board with a soldering iron in case of a DSJ. Updated the BIOS. But it still does the same thing. Does anyone know of a resistor or something that needs to be replaced - Thanks in advance.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Hi all

Post by DragonFury »

welcome, as far as your board not cold booting I haven't even gotten a clue for you to start. did you check the IHS heatsink thermal paste? also if you can try a different motherboard (friend or family) it may come down to that it may need to be replaced.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hi all

Post by Apoptosis »

welcome to the site and sorry to hear you are having major issues with your Intel X58 Express motherboard. Sounds like it's on it's last leg. After you start changing out transistors and soldering on a board it's really tough to diagnose a problem like the one you are experiencing. In fact it's likely impossible to diagnose online and usually easier to buy a new board at this point. Not what you wanted to hear, but the truth.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!