Hello!

Now that you have found our forums and become a member take a second to introduce yourself to others and get to know us!
Coughie
Legit User
Legit User

Hello!

Post by Coughie »

I can already tell, this is going to be fun! :) I've lurked around various sites for years, soaking up the proffered knowledge after Web-searching for articles or reviews pertaining to particular topics or products, but I'm looking to step it up a bit now, to be more of a participant, not just a spectator. =D>

I'm nearly finished with a new build: in a Corsair C70 Vengeance, I've put an Antec HCP-850 Platinum, Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X, AMD A10-7850K, ArctiClean and PK-1, Corsair Hydro H105, G.Skill TridentX F3-2666C11D-16GTXD kit, AMD R7250X2GB for Dual Graphics, 3 assorted ODDs, and even dual 12" blue CCFLs for a stunningly-brilliant electric glow! :lol: (I haven't had a chance to evaluate the stock fans yet, but we'll see...) I also got a Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic keyboard, rather similar to the original MS Natural one I'm so accustomed to, and a Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball, the latest iteration of my indestructable, 3-button T-CH11 TrackMan Marble. (I'll still be using the Altec GT-5051 speakers, and a Westinghouse L2410NM monitor that I have had for a number of years; there's a new one -- or maybe 3, for Microsoft Flight Simulator -- not too far in this rig's future.) I plan to dual-boot Kubuntu and Win 8.1 (then, an upgrade to Win 10) -- after I get a suitable, sizeable PCIe 2.0 x4 SSD. The new Kingston HyperX Predator looks promising, yet, there are some somewhat disturbing test results shown in the review here (http://www.legitreviews.com/480gb-hyper ... iew_160496) and elsewhere. ;) I'll be posting to the pertinent thread regarding those. I may just have to make do with a WD HDD I already have, for the moment...

I intend to play with the balance between stable OCing of the APU, and of the SDRAM -- which, in this case, will likely be underclocking of the DDR3 2666 kit I have. I forked over extra dosh for choice binning; I deemed 2666 worth $50 more than 2400, but an additional $200 for 2800 -- Yow! :lol: (Thanx and a tip o' the hat to Zippy th' Pinhead!) With the Corsair AIO cooler I have, I should be able to stave off overheating of my processor, during the process.

Well, I'm off! It's good to be able to offer my 2¢-worth -- and here's hoping that it turns out to more valuable than that to my fellow members -- or anyone who reads it! Cheers!
Last edited by Coughie on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It could be a spoonful of coffee..." -- Willie Dixon
KnightRid

Re: Hello!

Post by KnightRid »

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you have a great start on a system. Keep us in the loop :supz:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Coughie
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Coughie »

Ar-r-rgh! Image Ta, KnightRid! LR is a community well-worth being a part of, and I'm happy to be here. And, thanks for the encouraging word regarding my APU system-in-progress. I've enjoyed the previous AMD + Gigabyte setups I have built, and one specific thing I am looking forward to is getting several OP-AMPs by various manufacturers to swap around for their sonic differences -- a spiffy feature of the Sniper mobo, and one that weighed significantly in my decision to use that particular one. 8) I need to get some excellent headphones, and that ought to help optimize the sound of whichever ones I pick.

I want to ask you about posting links to articles or reviews from other sources besides LR; I've seen where that has been done here, and Rule 8 explicitly forbids doing so without the express permission of a Mod or Admin. Do I need to PM you and give the details, so you can decide "yea" or "nay", in this particular case? Cheers!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

As long as it is not a blatant attempt to advertise a different site and is just a link to an article that goes with your question or post it would usually be allowed. Blatant advertising links would be deleted.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Coughie
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Coughie »

Great! That's exactly what I had in mind. :)