Hi

Now that you have found our forums and become a member take a second to introduce yourself to others and get to know us!
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Hi

Post by VideoChick »

Hi

Just call me VideoChick. I live in S Florida. I love playing videogames and building gamming rigs. I am currently planning Oblivion and BF2. I want to try overclocking (again) so I am here to learn.

How did you find the forums?
I was looking to overclock my x1800xt and found this site via Google search.

What system are you running?

ASUS A8R32 MVP Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptor SATA
Sony DRU-810a DVD-RW
Sapphire ATI X1800XT
Audigy 2 ZS Gamer PCI
Windows XP Pro SP 2
FSP Group FX600W

Are you an Intel or AMD Fan Boy/Girl?
I’m not a fan girl I will try just about anything.

What type of gaming are you into?
BF2, Oblivion

Are you an overclocker?
I am new to overclocking but anxious to get started.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Welcome to LR!!!

You will have some fun here, and your not the only woman on our forum :) unilke most hardware forums we have a good number here, thoug... they have not posted as much since summer started :(

Anyway... awsome rig looks like you did your research before buying anything because you ahve the fixings for a good overclocker.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Your very welcome to our comunity VideoChick!!! :partyman:

That's a sweet setup!
I'm getting that mobo soon myself. It looks to be a good board, from what I hear.

If your interested, you can fold for LR too (Team 38296) Image
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

I was beginning to think I was the only woman on earth that likes building computers. I took a couple of months to research the components before I purchased them.

This is an awesome motherboard but it does have its problems. I have a hard time getting the IDE and SATA drives to work together and I have a heat problem with the motherboard. Other than that the motherboard does its job well. I am really looking forward to overclocking my new rig.

I spend so much time playing with my computer parts so I am little in dark to the outside world. What is fold (it's ok to laugh)?

Thanks for the welcome.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

VideoChick wrote:I was beginning to think I was the only woman on earth that likes building computers. I took a couple of months to research the components before I purchased them.

This is an awesome motherboard but it does have its problems. I have a hard time getting the IDE and SATA drives to work together and I have a heat problem with the motherboard. Other than that the motherboard does its job well. I am really looking forward to overclocking my new rig.

I spend so much time playing with my computer parts so I am little in dark to the outside world. What is fold (it's ok to laugh)?

Thanks for the welcome.
For starters your not alone......you took the time to register! Your one of use now ;)

I dunno about the IDE/SATA prob, but I'll see what I can find out. What happens?

When you say there's a heat prob, how? If it's the chipset then it should be ok. I think you should get a Thermalright XP-120 to cool the CPU, it will also cool the ram and chipset. Plus using a large 120mm fan means less noise ;)

"Fold" is Folding@home.
Apoptosis wrote:What is Folding?
Folding at Home is a distributed client program, similar to SETI, in that it uses your free CPU cycles to help understand how proteins are assembled, or folded. The project is put on by Stanford University whose goal is to find out how proteins assemble themselves and why they sometime misfold. This misfolding is related to many serious diseases including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.

By donating your spare CPU cycles to the Folding team you are pitching in to help find out how this process works and eventually to find a cure. Not only will you be doing a good deed for humanity but you will enjoy participating in our team and promoting the healthy competition among team members to produce the most work units of our group.

How Do I Start?
First you will need to go to the Stanford Folding site and download the latest client. Their are three primary downloads for the PC which include: Graphical Client, Graphical Client (screensaver only), and the command line version. There are also downloads for Linux and the Mac OS X.

After downloading any of the above clients, simply run the program and enter a desired user name and our team number (38296). You may choose to scale down the % of the CPU used, for example 85% if you use your computer throughout the day. The default setting will run at 100% (If you run Hyper-Threading it will only run 50% when set at 100%)

Legit Folding Team Info & URL's

Folding Team Number: 38296
f@h3 site: http://folding.stanford.edu
Official f@h support site: http://www.folding-community.org
The folding educational project page for teachers and students. http://folding.stanford.edu/education
Stats can be checked at the stanford site listed above or at http://www.statsman.info
folding server status: http://folding.stanford.edu/serverstat.html
Legit Folding Team Page: Legit Folding
It's for a good cause and takes little to no effort. It doesn't lower the performance of your PC.......and it's addictive!
You can also see our team stats here
Link
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

The ASUS probe alarm keeps going off. The motherboard temperature is 61c. The problem is the airflow in the case. I thought the design of the side panel for this case would help keep the temperature inside the case down. It didn’t, there are only two case fans one in the front and one in the rear. I took two 120mm and one 80mm fans and attached them to side panel that took care of the heat problem. If I remove the side panel the temp goes up pretty fast. This is a temporary solution I am looking into something more permanent.

I just read up on folding. That’s a really good cause. Sign me up.

Thanks
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Welcome to the forums and glad to see you are already interested in folding... It's for a great cause and some day I'm sure all of us will be impacted by one of the areas that folding is looking into. ASUS probe drives me crazy and I usally don't install it anymore.

Looks like you got a great system and almost have all the 'bugs' worked out!
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

I just installed the folding software. Thanks for inviting me to join.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

make sure to enter the team No. as 38296
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

I did use team NO. 38296. I'm folding now i'm not sure if I set it up correctly but it will be folding until tommorrow at 9:58.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

Welcome to the forums! It's nice to have a chick (I assume from your username that it's ok...) interested in PCs!

Glad to have you folding as well! What's your username?
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

VideoChick

Thanks
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

VideoChick wrote:VideoChick

Thanks
Cool! :mrgreen:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Welcome. Glad to see more women are getting into the PC arena. I hope you find all the information you're looking for here.
dday
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by dday »

Welcome aboard!!
I haven't been here long, but found this group to be very friendly and knowlegable.........
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Belated but welcome aboard!
Joe
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

welcome :)

and glad you joined the folding team :)
pastorjay
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by pastorjay »

Good to have you here! Hope you enjoy your stay!