ATI Radeon HD 2600 PROBLEM

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
rootman
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

ATI Radeon HD 2600 PROBLEM

Post by rootman »

I just got a new laptop and I was trying to play Starcraft on it. However, I get a DirectDraw error saying "Starcraft was unable to switch video modes. To correct this problem, please set Desktop Area to 640 x 480 and Color Palette to 256 colors and try running Starcraft again."

To fix the problem, I knew there was an option to choose compatibility mode on Vista. So I opened up the properties of the Starcraft .exe file and clicked on the compatibility tab and checked "Windows XP Service Pack 2" and checked the boxes for "Run in 256 Colors" "Run in 640 x 480 resolution" and "Disable Visual Themes". I ran the .exe file again but it gave me the same DirectDraw error. I thought at first that the game had a compatibility issue with Vista, but I am now thinking that the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 doesn't have DirectDraw capabilities and is unable to run Starcraft.

I've installed the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and even tried to change the desktop resolution to 640 x 480 but still no luck. Please help me get Starcraft running T_T. Thanks in advance.
starcraftjunkie
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PROBLEM

Post by starcraftjunkie »

i have the same problem, and i have the same video card (on a laptop, too), with Vista.

tried everything i could think of including all the stuff the above dude, did.

anybody know a fix? it's really quite frustrating ](*,)
starcraftjunkie
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: ATI Radeon HD 2600 PROBLEM

Post by starcraftjunkie »

HERE IS THE SOLUTION: (Vista, 64-bit, using ATI Radeon 2600, or Mobility Radeon, i'm not sure anymore)
i just tried it myself, it works, very legit
but requires a 3rd party solution, but if u're like me and just really want to play with friends / by-yourself then this is the solution for u:

step 1)
install starcraft
and get the latest patch (i.e. u'll have to patch it urself, though this may work with a non-patched copy as well, i'm not sure)

step 2)
go to starcraft directory
right-click on the Starcraft.exe file
go to 'compatibility' tab
select 'Run In Compatibility Mode'
in drop down menu select Windows XP
select 'Run in 256 colors'
select 'Run in 640x480 screen resolution'

step 3)
go here and download ChaosLauncher:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... c_id=65196
install it
run it
make sure that W-Mode is checked (located in first tab)

chaoslauncher should automatically find the path to starcraft.exe but u may have to specify it under the Settings tab (it found it automatically for me)
then just click on "Start"

starcraft will now play in a SEPERATE WINDOW, i.e. u can still see the rest of ur desktop
to fullscreen it press ALT+F9
to go back to overview window press ALT+F9 again
there are also other options u can play with...

HAVE FUN !